Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HO Envy Notebook 4-1030us
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I was constantly getting message to upgrade to Windows 8.  When I tried to upgrade, something went wrong and the OS and all files got deleted.  Finally I reformatted the drive and uploaded the OS using the Windows ISO.  Now it is asking me to provide a prodcut key to be able tocontinue using the OS.  The sticker on back of the computer is not very legible.  How can I get the product key.

Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hello @rajivjain

Thank you for posting in the HP Support forum

If you installed the correct ISO image for the correct OEM edition of Windows 7, then you could have used the product key from the COA sticker.  If you are unable to see the COA sticker or if you are unable to use the code or if the Windows 7 edition is not the correct one, you should then follow the official process.

The official process suggests that you should use original HP recovery media for your model. It contains Windows, drivers, preinstalled apps and can restore your PC to factory default condition, and it will automatically insert Windows code and will activate Windows.

Based on the information provided and the one I have, your PC does come with Windows OEM (preinstalled) and you should purchase and use this media to reinstall Windows and restore to initial condition >> http://www.computersurgeons.com/p-21593-recovery-kit-693598-001-for-hp-envy-ultrabook-model-number-4...

Once you receive the kit, boot from the first DVD and follow the on-screen guide. More info >> http://hp.dezide.com/ts/start.jsp?guide=HPSystemRecovery.net&as=true&section=ccweb&SFS=tdoc&language...

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes and provide feedback/update.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

After having spent a few hours with HP Tech Support, I was advised to purchase the recovery media, which I think should have been provided with the computer itself.  I bought and recieved a USB drive.  The recovery would state that it could not find a rstone.exe file in util directory on a d or e drive.  Then on re-boot, it would give me the message BOOTMGR IS MISSING.  PRESS CTRL+ALT+DEL TO RESTART.  After spending a few hours again with HP Tech Support, I was told that they cannot do anything aboout it.  Believe me, I have been trying to get this computer working for almost a year now.  All I need is the Windows key as I finally managed to get it started with the help of Microsoft support.  Earlier they also were not able to assist, but I found this technician on their support who was able to get it done.  Is there any way that HP can provide the Winows key?

The worst part of this was that I started getting calls from people claiming that they were from HP and were even aware of my issue.  But all they wanted was to get me to follow their instructions.  Since a google search of thier numbers indicated that they were not legitimate HP support people, I would refuse those calls.  They would curse me out and keep on calling.  Tried to let HP know but was told that there was no department that I could report this to and that HP was aware of this.  It was a very surprising answer.  I don't know how these scammers were able to obtain my information and the exact nature of my problem.  Now I see an advisory to this effect on HP support site.

Thanks 

HP Recommended

Hi @rajivjain

With regards to your problem - the rstone.exe error indicates that the recovery drive you have been sent is corrupt or incorrect You need to contact HP again and ask them to send you one that works fine (replacement one). If HP cannot send you a replacement media, please ask for a refund and purchase it from ComputerSurgeons - link and instructions can be found above.

With regards to the fake calls - please do not answer/reply to such calls. You have done a great job so far avoiding them. Depending on where you live, you may also want to report them to authorities.  There is indeed such a team which takes note of these and investiages them.

Please, note that I have notified HP internally about this issues you have experienced. You might be contacted here in private (in the forum via private message from identified HP contact with HP sign next to the name) to ask you for more info.

Please, review everything posted so far and let me know how it goes. Don't give up 🙂

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

After all taht going back and forth, HP refunded the money.  I am still stuck with a system that needs the product key.  Idon'tknow how purchasing the media from another venor will reolve this issue as my drive was wiped clean.  Cannot even see the solid state drive that is on  the mother bard and don't know if that would contain the operating system.  Even withte media, I dd not get the restore link as was mentioned in one of the installation documents.  I guess it is because the software could not find the prior installation information.

Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

You are welcome !

This is not from another vendor - just a reseller. Computer Surgeons just sell, they don't produce. Everything is created/produced by HP for HP computers. CS tend to have good reputation.

The recovery media is a kit of DVD discs or a USB pen drive

This kit or the drive contains it all - it does not need a product key to be entered manually by the user, it does not need any previous installations - it contains Windows, drivers, preinstalled apps and sets your PC to factory default condition. Using it, it will restore the appropriate image on your HDD.

You mention an SSD, did you perform any hardware changes to your PC after it has been purchased originally (e.g. changing HDD, upgrading to SSD, etc.) ?  I ask you this because there is a some "trick"/catch about that and the recovery media....

* I understand that all you need is activation key but you cannot get it from HP - the key because HP probably doesn't have it - it has already been provided to you in the forms of a COA sticker for Windows. It cannot also be provided again due to licensing limitations from Microsoft. However, if your computer originally came with Windows preinstalled, the HP recovery media kit should do the trick to restore the PC to factory default condition where Windows will be activated.

Looking forward to your reply

HP Recommended

@rajivjain

Thank you for posting your concerns on the HP Support Forums. I have brought your matters to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They may request for some additional information from you in order to look up your case or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Please keep in mind not to post any personal information publicly (serial numbers, phone numbers, and etc.). If you have any additional questions please send me a private message. Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I Work for HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for your response.  How do I send private message?

HP Recommended

No, I did not do any hardware changes or install additional equipment.  I beleive the SSD is on the motherboard and the system came with a 500 MB hard drive.

HP Recommended

@rajivjain wrote:

Thanks for your response.  How do I send private message?

Hi,

You are welcome.

Sending a private message (PM) - just find the person/nickname you want to send a message to and click on their name. You will open their profile. On the right side of the profile you will find an option called "Contact me" > Send this user a private message

Click on this and there you go...

Receiving/reading a private message >> https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/First-Time-Here-Learn-How-to-Post-and-More/How-to-check-your-messages/...

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.