cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Helpobot2000
5 2 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows 8.1 Recovery media to new SSD fails, cannot make new media or buy recovery discs from HP????

Envy 15-K081nr G6U30UA
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I have an Envy notebook model 15-K081nr with Windows 8.1.  I created my recovery media on a new Sandisk USB drive (16GB).  1TB Hard drive is now producing errors in Windows warning of imminent failure.  So I bought a 1TB SSD by Samsung and attempted to recover to it.  It fails during the 3rd step (restoring) about 30% in - 3 times in a row now.

The recovery discs are no longer sold by HP and I can't get any Microsoft Windows 8.1 images to work and recognize the UEFI stored product key for OEM.  HELP!  I really really really need this laptop for work right now.  I'm using the "failing" hard drive right now because it's all I've got to work with.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Level 16
25,081 24,631 3,555 7,949
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows 8.1 Recovery media to new SSD fails, cannot make new media or buy recovery discs from HP????

Help.

HP ENVY 15-k081nr Notebook PC (ENERGY STAR)

DVD - Windows 8.1 64b Recovery Kit

System Recovery Kit for Consumer Notebook (3 Discs)

http://support.hp.com/us-en/mediaorder/HP-ENVY-15-Notebook-PC-series/6936206/model/7280668/softwarei...

REO

If you need further assistance please start a new post as I no longer will be a part of the HP Support Community.
0 Kudos
Helpobot2000
5 2 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Before I accept this is as a solution - I have to say the link you provided is a page that would not come up for me in the past few days after trying 3 or 4 times on both this computer and my phone.  It provided a blank / no results HP page every time I would attempt to order the media.  So - whatever somebody did to change that - coincidentally or intentionally - thanks!  And thanks REO for demonstrating that it now works.

One other thing - if my very HP notebook created recovery media that failed (flash drive is good through and through), and HP only allows me to create ONE - should I HAVE to pay for these discs?  Honestly  - for all I know I had a bad HDD from the get-go and that's it created faulty recovery media.  I did everything right (including another full data backup soon after the error started) and I'm still paying for it.

I even tried the Seagate/Samsung firmware update from HP's site - which wouldn't take - even after I turned off Secure Boot as instructed.  This update was supposed to potentially fix false positives on the SMART failure front.

I guess I'm asking for an opinion that nobody would want to post if they agreed with me anyway.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation