cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Gamer101
2 0 0 1
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

Windows 8.1 laptop won't start

HP Recommended
My laptop hp windows 8.1 will not boot when it loads where it says hp and the dots spinning then goes black I didn't install anything or update the PC I'm so confused I tried everything to fix it but I need some help.
6 REPLIES 6
DavidPK
Level 18
49,520 49,455 9,902 16,849
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Shut down the notebook.

Tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to enter the Start-up Menu.  Select the Diagnostic Menu option ( f2 ) and run the tests on the Hard Drive and Memory.

Post back with the details of any error messages ( including codes ) that may be generated.

Can you also post back with the full Model No. and Product No. of your notebook - see Here for a guide on locating this information.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos
shequantew
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I have that exact same problem when I press the power button and hp comes up and buffers then the screen goes blank.
0 Kudos
TUFSTFRU
2 2 0 0
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ran the System Extensive Test, within minutes the Hard Drive DST Check Failed.  What do I need to do now?

0 Kudos
TUFSTFRU
2 2 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The following is the code referenced for the Short DST failure:  GGEG53-7B780G-MFMM61-60WG03

0 Kudos
MrGonzales87
3 2 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I have my HP Pavillion Notebook Pc dm1 class c 8.1 updated to Windows 10 and i had it for a while now. I failed to create a back back in case something happened. As of luck has it something did happen. My system crashed I factory reset it. Then It sent me to recovery manager numerous times tried every option that was avaliable. So as now it turns on an attempt to reboot but quickly redirects me to no boot Image authentication mind this it's diagnosis has short disc failure any tips from anyone would extremely help I depend on this for schooling please help
0 Kudos
DavidSMP
Retired
Retired
12,360 12,338 1,169 2,498
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @MrGonzales87,

Good day!  Smiley Happy Thanks for posting your question in the  HP Community. It is a terrific place to find answers and tips and to have the best experience in the HP forums. I read the post regarding boot issues with the computer. I’ll be glad to assist you with this. Smiley Happy  

You are a valued HP customer and we appreciate you greatly for doing business with HP. I have reviewed the situation and it is paramount that we address your issue. Thank you for giving us the privilege to assist you on this platform. Smiley Happy You’ve done some awesome diagnosis and brilliant deductions of the issue. Kudos to you on that score. Smiley Happy

First off we need to diagnose correctly if the issue is hardware or software related.

Also, for better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this.

• Did a software or windows update cause this to happen? Do you remember?
  • Did you run diagnostics on the computer?

The computer has a hard drive issue considering that it reports Sort DST has failed. That is why it is not booting into windows.

So please run system diagnostics on the computer from this link: http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03467259

If it reports a failure Id, please make a note of it and contact HP phone support to get the computer serviced or the Hard drive replaced.

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

• Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
  • Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
  • Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number, Case number and phone number appear.
  • They will be happy to assist you immediately.
  • If the unit is under warranty, the manufacturer’s warranty should take care of it for you.
  • You will need recovery media also when a new hard drive is ordered to install windows back on your computer

Please keep me posted. I will keep a watch for your reply. Please perform all the steps diligently and patiently and this should do the trick for you. 🙂

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Smiley Happy Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Smiley Happy

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. Smiley Happy

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation