cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 1
12 8 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

Solved!

Windows 8.1 reset still available after Windows 10 upgrade and refresh?

HP Recommended
Envy 15-c101dx
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I was trying to troubleshoot and fix a hareware driver issue that was discovered after doing the Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 8.1. Before refreshing my system I was warned by the software  that I would not be able to revert to Windows 8.1 if I did the refresh with the Windows 10 upgrade still installed. My question is if Windows 10 also prevent me from getting back to Windows 8 if I did a system reset?

I played it safe and reverted back to Windows 8.1 before resetting this time, but this will delay me upgrading to Windows 10 with confidence (1 month to try it is not a long time).

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
16,541 17,373 957 2,203
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @hyjiad.

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I came across your post about the Notebook, and wanted to assist you! I have looked into your issue about your HP ENVY x2 - 15-c101dx Notebook and concerns with the Windows 10 Upgrade. It does show me that your system is compatible with Windows 10 drivers. Did it tell you what driver it would have a concern with?

The best I can offer you at this point is to create your HP Recovery USB drive.

Here is a link to Windows 10 FAQ's. It does give you the Go Back is a feature that will return your computer to the previous operating system that was installed before you upgraded to Windows 10 for only 28 days. But with your USB recovery drive you could do that at any point and time.

I hope this helps you out.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
12 8 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am most concerned about the auto-rotation function for the screen. This stopped working with the Windows 10 upgrade. I have also had problems with the graphics in some older directx 9 based games that worked in Windows 8.1 not working or working poorly in Windows 10. I wanted to make sure that I had some recourse if I found more important issues and needed to revert after the 30 day rollback period had expired.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
16,541 17,373 957 2,203
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey,

Then you would use the system discs you created to return to your OS.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
12 8 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Fortunately I do have recover media available, so I can do as you have suggested.

I also retained the recovery partition on my system hard drive. Will the Windows 10 update overwrite that partition?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
16,541 17,373 957 2,203
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey ,

Some say it does, it did not on my system. But that is why I recommend backing everything up.

Thanks.

I work on behalf of HP
Highlighted
Level 16
25,082 24,632 3,565 8,001
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation