Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Honor Student
Message 1 of 6 (215 Views)

Windows 8, can't upgrade to win 8.1, can I safely upgrade to win 10?

Product Name: Pavilion 15-e078sa
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Bought this laptop Nov 13, tried upgrading to 8.1 but pc would not work. Took back to pc world where they rolled it back to win 8 and it was then ok. However, microsoft not supporting 8 any longer and telling me i must upgrade to 8.1 or 10. obviously I have aready tried 8.1, and hp website says that my model has not been tested for 10. Help!!

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 6 (194 Views)

Re: Windows 8, can't upgrade to win 8.1, can I safely upgrade to win 10?

NBrooks1

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

I read your post about your wanting to Upgrade to Win10 and wanted to help.

The only "safe" upgrade is one you can revert back from if it goes poorly or you change your mind about it.

While Microsoft tells you that there is no risk in the Win10 Upgrade, because they let you believe that you can always revert back to your original OS and setup within 30 days, the ugly fact of the matter is that the Win10 GoBack function has proven to be unreliable -- and when it fails, it can leave machines in a corrupted state -- which doesn't always happen, but it does happen often enough to be a problem and you won't get any warning in advance that it is going to trash your PC!

If that is not bad enough, the Win10 Upgrade is know, in some cases, to corrupt the Recovery partition stored there by the OEM that built the original machine.  This pretty much guarantees that no HP Recovery is going to work.

So, if you are determined to to the Upgrade, you need to protect yourself against the problems prior to doing that -- and the best way to do that is to make an image backup of your OS and boot partitions on an external drive or large USB stick.

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR)
2) Run MR and choose the option: "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows" to write a full backup to an external drive or USB stick
3) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

My experience is that MR, when using the High Compression option, typically can compress the saved image file to about 50% of the USED space in the OS partition.  This means if you have an 80GB OS partition, and 40GB is used, MR only needs about 20GB to store the image file.

I use this all the time and it typically takes less than 10 minutes to do the image backup and about the same time or less to do a restore.  Plus, MR has the option to Add a Recovery Boot Menu entry.  This allows you then to boot into WinRE, and you can then use that to do a restore -- when you can't boot into Windows!

NOW, you have the means to restore a full working system from the external drive or USB stick in only a few minutes.

Have fun experimenting with Win10!

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Provost
Message 3 of 6 (190 Views)

I have a two slighty older Gateway laptops with a 2nd Gen. Intel i3 CPU and encountered no issues when upgrading to Windows 10. I did one as an upgrade from Windows 7 and the other as a clean install.

Your computer should have no issue upgrading to Windows 8.1, as HP has provided Windows 8.1 drivers on the HP Pavilion 15-e078sa Notebook PC - Driver and Software page for your computer. Upgrading to Windows 10 may require that your computer is already running the lastest Windows 8.1 Update, however you can manually download Windows 10 and attempt to upgrade from Windows 8.

Windows 10 should have drivers for most of the hardware already built into it and for those devices that still need drivers, HP's Windows 8.1 drivers and/or the device manufacturer's drivers should work.

Please create your HP Recovery Media prior to attempting this upgrade. This media may be the only way to restore your computer to a factory like state if the upgrade fails.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the White KUDOS "Thumbs Up" to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
Honor Student
Message 4 of 6 (184 Views)

Sounds like a nightmare I could do without. I already have a USB recovery drive which was given to me with the laptop - is that the same as what you are taking about?

I just spoke to MS and they said I would have to go to 8.1 before going to 10, so the immediate question is whether if going to 8.1 screwed the computer before, is that likely to happen again, and if so is it actually OK to stay on plain old windows 8 as long as I run virus & malware scans regularly?

Thanks very much.

Provost
Message 5 of 6 (181 Views)

You may consider updating the drivers to the Windows 8.1 versions before attempting to upgrade to Windows 8.1. That may cure the issue you were having that prevented you from upgrading the Windows 8.1. Afterwards, you should have no issue going to Windows 10.

Alternatively, you should be able to do a "clean install" of Windows 10 from Windows 8. A clean install typically doesn't have the issues associated with an upgrade and may work in your case. Be advised that all HP added value software/programs will be gone if you do a clean install.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the White KUDOS "Thumbs Up" to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
Honor Student
Message 6 of 6 (167 Views)

This information is really helpful, thanks. If I create a backup using Macrium, will that definitely work in the case that Win 10 doesn't function, or is there a risk that the computer will be irretrievably corrupted? Do you advise that it is best to go for a clean install of win 10 straight from 8 , or would it be better to try 8.1 first, then upgrade to 10? Many thanks for all your help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation