Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Windows Activation Prompted after System Recovery

HP Recommended
ENVY m4
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

I got ENVY m4 pre-installed with Windows-8 and it got upgraded free to Windows-10. I did system recovery 3-days ago and also purchased Office 365. I am getting regular pop-ups to activate windows. Contacted MS suppprt who said that I need to get the key number for windows-8 from HP as it is pre-intalled product. There is no key number in rear of the system , except for the sticker of windows symbol in the rear. How do I resolve this. 

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
23,488 23,427 2,169 5,116
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Chander-Chennai

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

You said you did a system recovery -- but was that to Windows 8, or to Windows 10?

If it was to Windows 8, HOW did you do the recovery (since the Win10 Upgrade is known to corrupt the HP Recovery information)?

If you did NOT use HP Recovery Media, that is a serious problem -- as that version is generally required in order to reactivate using the HP OEM product key that came with your PC.

You might be able to recover the product key using this utility:  http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/2577-showkey.html

Sometimes, that works using MS-provided media.

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation