cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Super-Paw Student
Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows Activation

dv7-7255dx
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

I upgraded my operating system to windows 10 when it first came out. I started having some issues with my operating system so I went and did a system recovery. The reset took all day... and my computer keeps showing me to activate windows. This is the error I am getting "The product key didn't work. Try a different key, or buy a new one." Really, I need to buy a new key for a system that I bought brand new.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Professor Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
1,973 1,956 301 584
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows Activation

Hi,

Follow the steps listed in the below thread link

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/After-Recovery-Windows-8-is-not-...

or the steps listed in the below link

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03486254

Regards

Mahemac

--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post)
--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
0 Kudos
miko987633 Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows Activation

Hello.

My mother purchased herself a new Hewlett Packard laptop. I cannot get it activated for her because of my inability to get to the DESKTOP!  I KNOW WHAT I MADE THE PASSWORD TO IT THOUGH!

If you can help me please.  I am not at her place of residence.  How do I get into the computer so I can get it working for her?

Thank you,

Mike T  Buffalo, NY

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
1,973 1,956 301 584
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows Activation

Hi @miko987633,

I would like to know if you are unable to pass the windows logon screen to get to desktop (where you are getting incorrect password) or is the laptop not at all booting to Windows.

Also give more details of the laptop which is used by your mother like the model number, product number and the operating system used on the laptop.

Regards

Mahemac

--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post)
--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation