cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
mrschwarz
Level 1
6 3 1 1
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post

Windows Hello Couldn't Turn On Camera on Spectre x360

HP Recommended
Spectre x360 Convertable w0XX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have enabled 'Windows Hello' on this new laptop. About half the time I open it or turn it on, the unlock screen displays a message 'Getting ready...'. After about 30 seconds, it displays the message, 'Couldn't turn on the camera.' I updated the driver for the 'HP IR  Camera', with no improvement.

Can anyone help diagnose or solve this problem?

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
The_Fossette
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
29,155 29,140 1,941 2,570
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @mrschwarz

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query in this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

I understand that you are unable to use the windows hello feature on your computer.

I’d love to help!

Windows hello feature is not supported on your computer. Go through the link below from Microsoft to know more about the windows hello feature and how it works.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/17215/windows-10-what-is-hello#v1h=tab01

Hope that answers your question.

Take care. Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
mrschwarz
Author
Level 1
6 3 1 1
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the response. It seems that you are talking about the older Spectre X360. Mine is the new model, w13-023dx. It is compatible with Windows Hello, it was just that more than half the time, it displayed the 'Couldn't turn on the camera' message.

Yesterday, I uninstalled, then reinstalled the HP IR Camera and then updated the driver. Since I did that, I haven't had an instance where I encountered the error message, just a couple of times that the camera couldn't recognize me (off-angle).

The problem seems to have resolved itself.

The_Fossette
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
29,155 29,140 1,941 2,570
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@mrschwarz

Thanks for the reply.

I am glad that the issue is resolved and the windows hello feature is working.

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

Take care!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
ET1111
Level 4
Level 4
74 72 5 6
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Does this happen after upgrade the windows? If yes, you need to update your IR webcam driver. Go to HP support website to download the latest IR camera driver.

If this fixes the issue, pls give me a kudos!

BRs,

I work for HP

ET1111. I work for HP; I'm here to help
0 Kudos
PKOI
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I could not find the camera driver anywhere in my laptop driver page. I also have the latest x360 and the hello setup always said the same message. Cannot turn on camera.
0 Kudos
NDeep
1 1 0 0
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

"Yesterday, I uninstalled, then reinstalled the HP IR Camera and then updated the driver" - @mrschwarz can you explain in more detail your procedure for this unsintall and reinstall? I assume you don't mean the hardware. If you uninstalled the device from Device Manager, how did you do the reinstall? Thanks for the clarification!

0 Kudos
DougS2
4 4 0 0
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm also getting the "Couldn't Turn On Camera" error when logging in on a NEW Spectre x360. Windows Hello has worked fine until ( at least I think this is when it started ) I ran the HP Support Assistant and got a bios update on 3/11/2017. 

Since then, I think, Windows Hello may or may not work.  From a cold boot, it does not work. From a wake up, it seems to work.

Is there anything that can be done? Roll back the BIOS update? Suggestions?

Doug

0 Kudos
A4Apollo
Retired
Retired
17,747 17,730 1,301 2,076
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi! @DougS2

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues, with help from the community!

I understand you have issues turning on windows hello camera on your PC.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

As you mentioned after updating the BIOS you have issues with windows hello camera.

Please provide the product number of your PC to assist you better.

I have checked the records and found there is a known article regarding this issue.

The camera does not work at the Windows Hello screen. A dialog appears stating camera getting ready, then shortly after, a message appears stating can't turn on the camera. This occurs after upgrading from the Windows 10 November Update (TH2 OS build: 10586) to the Windows 10 Anniversary Update (RS1 OS Build: 14393)

Try updating the HP IR Camera Driver to Version: 10.0.10586.11211.

Link to update HP IR Camera Driver.

If the issue still persists after updating the driver, try rolling back bios on your PC. Refer this article to know more information about rolling back BIOS.

Let me know if this works!

Have a wonderful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
martinex
2 1 0 0
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This is obviously not true.  The **bleep** thing came with windows 10 installed.  Now all of a sudden Windows doesn't support this function?  Come on man!

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation