Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Series: How to Re-Install Windows when you don't have the Recovery Discs

Intro: What is an ISO? Why is it used? 

Step 1 - Get the ISO - ISO Download Links

Step 2 - Burn the ISO to a DVD or USB   

Step 3 - What to do with the ISO DVD/USB? Change the Boot Order  

Step 4 - What to do After Windows is Installed? How to Get HP Drivers?    

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 - Get the ISO - ISO Download Links

First, look at the Product Key label on the bottom of the computer and make sure you can still read itbefore proceeding.

How is this legal?   As long as you have the Product Key (from the bottom of a computer you paid for) for the corresponding version of Windows you download, it is perfectly legitimate and legal.

The ISO Links: 

Windows Vista SP1  32 & 64-bit

*****With that link, you will have to combine the three files into an Image file (aka ISO) first (How to create an image file from files/folders) , using a program like ImgBurn.*****

Windows 7 32 & 64-bit

Windows 8 32 & 64-bit

See Step 2 - Burn the ISO to a DVD or USB

If you have any questions, create a new post (How to Create a New Post - Video), copy and paste it's link into a private message to me, and I will respond on your thread 🙂

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Is it still legal if I download the official iso for free from microsoft digital river and then change the text in one of the files to make the installer accept my OEM key from the bottom of my notebook computer?

HP Recommended

You shouldn't need to edit any of the files. The Windows 7 ISO is a retail, untouched version. It doesn't have a Product Key embedded into it.

You should be able to use a Windows 7 Product Key from the label on the bottom of the computer with no issues. The installation will ask you for a Windows 7 Product Key. The only exception would be if the Product Key were in use on a different computer. From my understanding, as long as it is not already in use, it should activate.

Please let me know if you have any questions on that 🙂

HP Recommended

What I am saying is that there is a text file in the iso to make the windows 7 installer only accept a retail key, if I open the text file oe.cfg or something in the iso and change the line from retail to oem and then save the iso and burn it to a dvd and then install windows 7 using the modified iso and use the product key from the bottom of my laptop is it still legal to use the modified iso? I have not changed anything else just the line where it says retail I changed it to oem so the istaller will accept my oem key from the bottom sticker on my laptop. It activates fine and hp assistant reconizes my serial number and all. I just dont know if it is legal to do that.

HP Recommended

Hello

couldn't you say it was the Enterprise windows 8  ?

could you please provide me with the windows 8 OEM iso from HP?

thanks in advance!

HP Recommended

just remove the ei.cfg file in the sources folder and you should be able to select the version to install during the installing process

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.