cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Polkadoted Honor Student
Honor Student
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows WIA Scan error

I ran a diagnostic from your site and everything seemed to check out ok except I got a red X on the Windows WIA Scan.

It asks if I want to do an uninstall?

I don't know if this is something I need because I don't know what it is.

Can you advise please

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
SauravK Top Student
Top Student
4 4 0 2
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows WIA Scan error

Hi!

you can open services.msc from the RUN window and then check for the following services and make sure that they are started and automatic.

1. Shell Hardware Detection.

2. Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

3. Windows Image Acquisition (WIA).

make sure to check them in the above mentioned sequence....because the main service here is Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) and if it is stopped ordesabled it wont start unless the other 2 services have the status as started.

the above steps will give u a resolution.....

if the WIA is started and still its giving a red X on WIA add exceptions for the hpscan.exe in the firewall.....

other reasons for a WIA red X could be because of any other imaging device that may be installed on the PC....like your cameras or other multifunction printers or scanners. because of these imaging device sometimes the WIA service cannot start...so removing/uninstalling them from the PC will once again allow you to start the WIA service and the scanner will work...

ronwilk12 Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows WIA Scan error

I have the same issue. I followed your instructions; verified that all have started & are set to automatic; could not find hpscan.exe in the HP directory of my PC; please advise next step....still unable to scan!

0 Kudos
Guest1234 Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows WIA Scan error

I installed my HP Photosmart C6150 to my laptop PC and am connecting via network and not USB.

I was unable to scan successfully.

I've run HP Print and Scan Doctor.

It tells me that Windows (WIA) Scan testing fails.

I have followed these instructions to the letter.

I have observed through services.msc that Shell Hardware Detection, Remote Procedure Call (RPC) and Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) have started and are set to 'automatic'.

I have also observed that only Remote Procedure Call (RPC) and not Shell Hardware Detection are listed as dependencies for Windows Image Acquisition (WIA).

hpscan.exe is not present on my HDD.

I've reinstalled more than once.

What must I do to get this HP Photosmart C6150 to scan?

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation