Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
oldtiger64 Top Student
Top Student
7 4 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows XP SATA drivers for HP455 G1 Probook Laptop

ProBook 455 G1
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have created a 80GB partition on the SATA HDD in this laptop and want to install a seperate bootable XP OS The inventory tracking software I need to run will open in the XP virtual machine mode, BUT all software functions, such as report printing, sorting and searching do not work in the XP virtual machine.

When XP setup loads and asks for drivers, I have none and setup stops!

I have tried nLite, but with same results, when it asks for a driver to add to the install folder, I don't have one. If there is a driver on my restore disk that will work where is it located and what is the name?

So, I need XP drivers that will recognize the SATA drive in my laptop during installation. I have copies of either XP SP2, with SP3 upgrade or SP3 available to install

My laptop has a AMD A6-4400M APU, with Radeon Graphics and ATI Bios 02/19/13 68CPE Ver F.26.

Anyone have a solution for me?

Very thankful for any help!

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Provost Provost
Provost
103113 93665 14378 22096
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

The only suggestion I can offer would be to try the sata drivers from the probook 4545s.

That was the last model HP provided XP support and drivers for.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=5229463&swItemId=ob_113188_1&swEnvOid=109...

The sata drivers are in the packages folder after you run the exe file or you can use a free file utility such as 7-zip to extract the driver files into their folders.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
38140 37960 5795 10068
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It is getting hard to find but there was an XP downgrade guide here for quite a while and is still out there if you search the Forum. CherylG was the primary author and here is the relevant excerpt. This has a link to the AMD ahci driver (only the HP link is currently good) that should work for you during Xp install or can be used to slipstream into an nLite custom install disk:

SATA DRIVERS

You may use external floppy drive and use the option of F6 during windows XP installation, however if you don’t have it, use Nlite.

A good guide to slipstream sata driver (the guide only shows ICH8 sata driver) here

Nlite download: Here

Notebook with Intel processors installed, Install CPU-Z  to determine correct SATA driver to select. Download the free program from here

Intel SATA drivers , here  Extract with  free 7Zip to use with nLite.The driver is located in iaAHCI.inf

Notebook with AMD processors installed, use AMD sata driver.

AMD SATA AHCI Controller, HERE

Or, AMD SATA AHCI driver from HP , here

Extract sp43839  to a folder and use files in RAID7xx folder

Important Notes:

1. In Nlite, choose the option of insert -> multiple driver folder
  2. Select ONLY x86 driver for AMD SATA AHCI when asked.
  3. Never choose x64 driver when asked

0 Kudos
oldtiger64 Top Student
Top Student
7 4 0 0
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I will give your idea a shot and see what happens. I'll get back to you if it works. But it may take a few days! Many thanks for the prompt response!

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
103113 93665 14378 22096
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

0 Kudos
oldtiger64 Top Student
Top Student
7 4 0 0
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Paul, I finally figured out how to get SP3 and the SATA driver you suggested combined into the Windows XP setup package and set up a XP install disk for my laptop, using nLite.

However, when I run the XP setup it does not recognize the new G: partition I installed on the laptop HDD. It recognizes all the other partitions C, D, & E plus the DVD drive F, originally installed by HP, but not my G partition. Windows 7 disk management shows the G drive as formatted NTFS with diagonal lines through the drive picture.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong? I am crossed eyed trying to get past this hurtle.
0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
103113 93665 14378 22096
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately, I do not.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
44383 44119 3304 13841
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

An uninitialized partition's lines display from top right to bottom (//). Try right clicking and Initialize if needed.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

0 Kudos
oldtiger64 Top Student
Top Student
7 4 0 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry about that! I never replied because I was never able to get Windows to regognize the 4th partition on my HD and the project was scrubbed because of these limitations. So I do not know if the drivers rec'd worked or not. Howevever , I did save them should I want to try again in the future. I would reply now, but it seems it is an either or situation, and I do not want to give you guys negative FB.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation