cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
clashman
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows keeps resetting back to Win 8.1 instead of Windows 10.

HP ENVY TS 14 E8A24UA#ABA
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello,

Every 3-4 weeks or so for the past year, my laptop randomly corrupts and I have to perform a factory reset, usually wiping out all data & programs. When I do that, it also resets the PC back to using Windows 8.1 rather than Windows 10. Ideally I would like to know why the program keeps corrupting and whether I can do anything besides a factory reset to prevent it. But also, since the deadline for upgrading to Windows 10 is coming up, is there a way that I can change the factory reset to use Windows 10 by default, so that I don't have to reset back to 8.1 after the upgrade deadline passes on July 29.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Level 15
Level 15
8,916 8,811 725 3,259
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

Welcome to the HP Support forum.  Thank you for your post.

I am afraid I have no idea why it corrupts. I mean - I have no details about your issues you experiences and I was not near your computer. Would you be able to let me know what you mean by  "corrupts" ? What stops working normally ?

Generally speaking Windows can get severely damaged easily - by malware/viruses, faulty 3rd party applications, faulty Windows Update/upgrade, faulty driver updates, inproper usage , etc... numerous reasons... But without any details, I cannot provide anything specific.

WIth regards to your specific question - I suspect your Windows 10 activated fine. Did it ? Since your computer originally came with Windows 8.1 and you then upgraded successfully to 10 , and Windows 10 successfully activated, this is good news for your case. If you do not want to keep Windows 8 anymore, you can simply download Windows 10 installation ISO from Microsoft web site

>> https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Please, make sure you choose the correct edition (Home/Pro / 32vs64 bit / etc) << THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT !

You can create your own installation media and use it to restore Windows to "factory default condition" => clean install it. You will have to format the HDD which means you will delete HP recovery partitions and will not be able to get back to Windows 8 but in case of faikure yiu will be able to get directly to Win 10.  Windows 10 will activate itself successfully without entering any codes (they are not needed) as you should now be activated using the new method Digital entitlement. More info >> http://www.winbeta.org/news/digital-entitlement-a-new-method-of-activation-in-windows-10

Instead of performing recovery OR using Windows 10 installation media for formatting HDD and clean reinstall, in case of WIndows issues you can use methods such as :

System Restore >> http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4588-system-restore-windows-10-a.html

>> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03327545

Windows Refresh / Reset with keeping files in >> http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4090-refresh-windows-10-a.html

Let me know if this helps.

****  Please, click on the button below to mark this post as an ACCEPTED SOLUTION if it helped you
****  Don't hesitate to hit the THUMB-UP+ button below to say THANKS or give LIKE
I am not employed by HP Inc. **** I express personal opinion only. **** HP Expert **** IT Commodity and Cyber Security professional

Level 15
Level 15
22,771 22,555 1,939 7,119
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@clashman

The way I understand it, because you have migrated to Windows 10 before the deadline, you are OK.

Once you migrate to Windows 10, Microsoft activates (registers) your Windows 10 upgrade and keeps track of your Windows 10 Digital License (Entitlement).   Should you need to reinstall your Windows 10 on that computer after the deadline, your Digital License will allow you to do so.

Information >

Upgrade to Windows 10: FAQ

There are lots and lots of comments, blogs, and articles about this subject on the Internet.

Fancy_Lines_2.jpg

If you are having continual problems with Operating System corruption, the underlying issue might be related to running a migrated OS (upgraded Operating System) -- an "upgrade" is not the same as a clean installation.   There are differences - some of these differences are tiny, others not-so-much.

The issue might be related to one or more of you own installed programs -- the program may not be responding properly to the upgraded OS, or the program may not be suited for Windows 10.

The problem might be the result of using various Registry cleaning tools -- some of these programs are more benign than others.  If used incorrectly or used in a situation where the registry is already in some way compromised, the results may be other than expected.

The problem might be due to a missing or outdated Driver.  

The issue might be due to Windows Updates that are failing to install -- or Updates that do install and are causing stability issues.  The issues might be a result of a "bad patch" or the issue might be the result of a patch that is not "bad" in and of itself, but that patch does not "get along" with your Operating System setup.

The problem might be the result of a component in the computer that is failing.

Examples > Tools that help track down issues

Hardware Testing

HP Notebook PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 10, 😎

Magic and skill > Event Viewer

Lesson 3: Using Event Viewer to Troubleshoot Problems

Information at a glance > Reliability Report

How to use Windows 10’s Reliability Monitor to fix and fine-tune your PC

How to Troubleshoot Windows 10 with Reliability Monitor

Fancy_Lines_2.jpg

Options

Use an Image to reinstall the Upgrade

If you feel that the constant upgrade > downgrade > re-upgrade cycle is more trouble than it is worth -- and if, after investigating possible causes of the problems, you feel that you do want this computer to run on "upgraded" Windows 10 >> you might consider creating a complete image of your system as it is when it is not corrupted.  Use that image to reload the OS.

Example:

Macrium Reflect Free

Purchase Windows 10 Pro

If you determine that everything should be working on Windows 10 -- and yet it is not working as you expect, consider that you might be better off with a clean installation of the Operating System.

I am a fan of clean install.  I shall not attempt to persuade you to the same viewpoint.

Fancy_Lines_2.jpg

When you see a Post that helps you,

Inspires you, provides fresh insight,

Or teaches you something new,

Click the "Thumbs Up" on that Post.

Fixed / Answered? Click that post Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation