cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
tricia190 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows reports a Hard Disk Error

XF482EA

Message keeps flashing up warning of Window detected iminent hard disk failure . Says to do a backup to avoid potential data loss.

Have bought a hard drive size1T and run the back up yesterday.  It says to ''  print out instructions and store with media used to back up data. , so that everything I need to fix computer is in one place.

The following information is provided to help the hardware technical support person diagnose the hard disk with errors  Disk Name WDC WD32OOBEVT-60A23TO      Volume : C:\;D:\;F:\

So after paying out cash for the Hard Drive , doing the back up .. now I need to know how to take the next step . Do I take my laptop to a repair shop ?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Provost Provost
Provost
38959 38774 5976 10410
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

What kind of backup did you do? So now you have your old data and an image of the hard drive stored on a 1 TB external drive. You are going to need to buy another hard drive to place inside the laptop and restore the data you have backed up to that new drive. Where are you located? The model number of the laptop is G62-451SA. 

This video shows how to replace the hard drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2T3n95Y4ks

If this looks like something you can do post back with the country you live in so we can tell you where to buy the drive and also tell us what program you used to backup? The built-in Windows backup utility? We can show you how to download and create a recovery disk which will allow you to load an exact duplicate of your old installation onto the new drive assuming certain procedures were followed in doing the backup...did you make a system image, for example? 

tricia190 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi HP EXPERT , Thank you so much for your speedy reply. 

Yes the back up I did was just following the Windows instructions. 

I live in U.K. 

Microsoft Windows still keeps popping up with the same message.

Regarding the back up process I am not sure what certain  procedures were followed .

I am quite happy with the YouTube instructions to replace the new Hard Drive Disk if required . 

I did ran a Smart Disk diagnostic check when I came back on , and it said no problem detected.

Windows had told me to print off the instructions for Fixing Hard Disk Errors

It says the information will help the hardware technical support person diagnose the hard disk with errors

Disk Name and Volume

as previously given.

I have watched the video you linked , think that part looks straightforward when I get the correct tools tomorrow.

Again thanks so much for your help

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
38959 38774 5976 10410
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

There can be other errors. You can go into BIOS (F10) or UEFI diagnostics (F2 as you power up) and run the hard drive test routine and get a more extensive check. If it passes the short and long test I am not understanding why Windows is giving you the "back up now" message but it can never hurt you to have a backup of your files, right? Happy to help in any other possible way. 

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation