Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
michael-23 Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows update service not running

Hi, can anyone help. I have a HP mini 110-3500 running windows 7 starter pack service pack 1. When I try to run windows update It fails and I get the following message: windows update failed. Windows update service is not running. You may need to reboot your computer.

Updates were running up to a few weeks ago.

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES
Dean
Dean
12391 582 1538
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Try the "fix it" solution on this page

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

0 Kudos
Marazan Top Student
Top Student
4 0 2
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Compaq Presario CQ56 Notebook PC  XH200EA#ABU, Windows 7 Home Premium 32/64

Not quite sure if I'm writing in the right place. Anyway, my windows update stopped working on the 18th May. I have since tried every fix I have found on the MS Forum without success including all the MS Fixits.. Error codes 80072F78 and 80072EE2. My question is that I noticed a file on my Cyberlink Recovery Manager called Essential Updates for Windows 7. Would this fix the problem. If so, what exactly do I have to delete before reinstalling this? Any help would be gratefully received as it's driving me mad.

Regards

Marazan (Paul)

0 Kudos
RonSilver Tutor
Tutor
15 1 1
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have had the exact same problem and error. Here is what I did to fix the problem. I did the step1 and step 2 as in the MS support forum no results. I was about to wipe the HD and reload the machine. I went to www.microsoft.com  and on the first page downloaded the windows update again and now the machine will download the updates from the start menu like it used to. As a first guess as to what caused the problem the machine hadn't been updated since march 20 ,2012. so windows updater was so far out of date that MS didn't recognize it This happened on a Compaq Presario CQ56-115DX.

0 Kudos
Marazan Top Student
Top Student
4 0 2
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

After 7 weeks and getting extremely angry with MS Support, they gave me this fix, which worked. My actions in red.

Ø  Start > type cmd in start search > right click “run as administrator”.

Ø  Copy and paste the command below as given.

net stop wuauserv - OK

cd %systemroot% - OK

ren SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old - Duplicate file found, so changed it to old2

net start wuauserv - OK

net stop bits - The BITS service is not started (message)

net start bits - OK

net stop cryptsvc - OK

cd %systemroot%\system32 - OK

ren catroot2 catroot2.old - Duplicate file found, so changed it to old2

net start cryptsvc - OK

regsvr32 Softpub.dll /s - OK

regsvr32 Wintrust.dll /s - OK

regsvr32 Initpki.dll /s - OK

regsvr32 Mssip32.dll /s - OK

Ø  Restart the computer. Success, Windows update now working.

Intern
Intern
60 1 3
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That works, Marazan. Thanks.

0 Kudos
QuattroRS4 Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This works perfectly !

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation