Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Intern
Intern
29 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows update stuck on check for updates

pavilion dv7-4270us
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Windows update was stuck on checking for updates for about 24 hours.  When I got the updates I tried to download 14 updates.  They would not download. Ran update trouble shooter.  It fixed 3 issues but could not solve error 0x80070057. Lost all of the updates after ranning the fix it.   Now checking for updates again and taking forever.  Have 2 other laptops, not HP's, no problems with downloading or installing updates.  This forum was a great help to me in past.  Thank you.  I hope you can assist me again.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES
Retired
Retired
16542 952 2192
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Chassell,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues, with help from the community!

I came across your post about the Notebook, and wanted to assist you! I have looked into your issue about your HP Notebook and it having startup issues.  Try performing a Hard Reset.

When performing a hard reset please note remove any and all USB devices. Disconnect all non-essential devices.

Here is a link to computer won't start for Windows.

Plug the power adapter directly into a different wall outlet. Do not plug it into a power strip, surge protector, or secondary power source as this could cause and issue.

Do you hear the Fans? If yes, try to connect a monitor to see what happens.

Please let me know how this goes.

You can say thanks for trying to help by clicking the Thumbs Up below!.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
29 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

How would this help my issue with windows update.   Am I at risk of loosing data?

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
16542 952 2192
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey @Chassell,

What happened with a Hard reset first?

No you would not loose any data.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
29 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the interest in my issue.   Windows update started working on its own after running for about 12 hours.  Laptop is now up tp date.  Did some research.  Lots of folfks have the same problem with windows update.  Its not the computer its microsoft.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation