Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi

Can yoou please help me. My wifi button (F12) stays orange and when I push it it just does nothing. It used to go blue but it wont. Please help, would love to get internet back. My computer is a HP Compaq Presario CQ45-707TU.

Thanks Joshua

HP Recommended

Hey Joshua, 

I'm sorry you're running into this wireless button issue but thanks for providing your model number. Have you upgraded to Windows 8 Pro recently, by chance? 

You could try uninstalling the driver through Device Manager. 

• Open Device Manager
  • Expand Network Adapters
  • Make note of the manufacturer name of the wireless card on the WiFi/Wireless/802.11 line listed under Network adapters
  • Double-click on that line to open properties
  • Click the Driver tab 
  • Make note of the version number 
  • Click the Uninstall button
  • Restart the computer

Windows will automatically detect the missing driver and reinstall it for you. Once the notebook is back on, give it about 2 minutes to finish installing the driver and let me know the results.

If it's still not working, I'll need the 1) wireless card's manufacturer name (Broadcom, Ralink, Qualcomm Atheros) and 2) driver version number. I'll also need your 3) BIOS version number. Press FN + ESC to bring up that information. Please let me know if you have any questions 🙂

HP Recommended
Thank you so much. It worked perfectly. Thank you.The first step worked perfectly.

Josh
HP Recommended

Great! Glad I could help! Please let me know if you run into any other issues 🙂

HP Recommended
Hi! The wireless button has stopped working. I've tried uninstalling the network adapter and restarted the laptop. It reinstalled the software but it hasn't worked.
I noticed on a previous post that you would require some further information.
Brand: Broadcom
Version: 5.60.350.11
BIOS: F48 - 11/09/2011 (0594110000252710001020100)

Thank you.
HP Recommended

Hey Gemsy! 

Thanks so much for providing that information! Smiley Happy

I would also need to know which model of notebook you have. Using the notebook's model/product number, I can compare the brand, version and BIOS version you gave me with what's current for that model/product number. Pressing the FN + ESC keys will bring up a window with your model/product number or you can find it on a label on the bottom of your computer (possibly inside the battery compartment). 

I'll keep an eye out for your reply Smiley Happy

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem too and I did all that but,I can't find restore defaults when I open Bios.

HP Recommended

I am using an HP 1000 notebook.

I had the same problem, which seems to be appeared after and HP update.

Here is what worked for me.

The Ralink WLAN driver was being rejected by Windows (7). I restared the device and pressed f8 during the startup. From the startup menu selected "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement". After the computer started I had my WiFi back.

This is a temporary solution, I have to disable driver signatures everytime I start my computer to use WiFi.

I hope tech support of HP soon comes up with permanent solution because a lot of HP users are experiencing it.

Thanks,

Stratagem_Pakistani

HP Recommended
Hi! Here's the information. HP G62 Notebook PC.
Product Number: XR524EA#ABU.
I'll look out for the solution! 🙂
HP Recommended

Thanks Gemsy! Your Broadcom wireless driver is up-to-date at 5.60.350.11. Your notebook has two BIOS versions available right now. You have the latest version, F.48, but I would like you to try rolling it back to the other available version, F.35. Download and install F.35. During the installation your computer will restart on its own. Allow it to restart and get back to the desktop. Then test out the button and let me know the results.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.