cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
melissaw
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Wireless 'frozen'? Or stuck on flight mode?

HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-n297sa
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I have had my laptop for about two years and have always had some problems with the wireless connection dropping in and out (laptop problem, not router).

The latest problem is that quite regularly, when the laptop wakes up from hibernation there is no internet connection. The wi-fi logo next to the clock in the start bar says it is connected with full signal but when you click on the logo it says no connections are available (although there should be lots). I don't have the option to disconnect as I'm not actually connected.

I have tried pressing the wireless button (F12) and it says it is turning flight mode on and off on the screen but the light remains blue and doesn't change to red so doesn't actually turn flight mode on.

I have tried the diagnostic troubleshooter and all it says is that the ethernet cable is unplugged. Obviously it is meant to be unplugged as I am trying to use the wireless! Occasionally, when the wireless just cuts out randomly, the troubleshooter says the Windows wireless service isn't installed (it is) or that the wireless adaptor needed resetting.

The only way to fix the problem is to shut the laptop down and restart which is becoming a pain. I haven't installed anything new recently, just the usual Windows updates.

I did take the laptop back to PC World who believed I had a faulty wireless adaptor. The laptop was only a month old at the time but PC World refused to fix it for free unless I prove the problem existed - but I can't make it happen!

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
melissaw
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can someone please make a suggestion? Having to restart my laptop every time I want to use the internet!

0 Kudos
EmeraldAvenger
Retired
Retired
2,840 2,755 185 362
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi there @melissaw, 

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome! I understand that you are having an issue with your Wi-Fi on your HP Pavilion 15-n297sa Notebook PC. This is a great question other customers may also be wondering about; please click the Accept as Solution if you feel this post has helped you, or could help others. 

My first suggestion would be to use the Troubleshooting Wireless Network and Internet Tool. At the bottom it will ask you questions to help you diagnose the issue. 

There is a section in the Troubleshooting Wireless Network and Internet called Configure wireless power options (cannot connect after returning from sleep mode). This section should help you with the Network not reconnecting to your network when it wakes up from sleep mode. 

If that does not work, please follow the steps in the Troubleshooting Wireless Network and Internet document.

When you come to the Uninstalling of the Network Adapter in the Device Manager, please follow these steps: 

• Go to the Device Manager.
  • Expand Network Adapters.
  • Right click on all of the Network Adapters individually.
  • Click Uninstall.
  • Restart the Notebook twice.

Here is a link to the HP Support Assistant if you need it. Just download and run the application and it will help with the software and drivers on your system that need updating. Please also do all of your Windows Updates. 

While researching, I also found a document for you called Resolving Broadband Internet connection problems. The Broadband document should provide alternative troubleshooting steps if you have experienced any of the following messages: 

• Internet Explorer cannot display the Web page, 
  • Work Offline: No connection to the Internet is currently available, or 
  • Not connected: You are currently not connected to any networks

To simply say thanks, click the Thumbs up below!  🙂  If you require further assistance let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help.

Have a great day! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
melissaw
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended
As I said, when I try the troubleshooter it simply says that the Etherlet cable is not plugged in. It's as if it's stuck in flight mode, even though the LED on F12 is blue.

I have updated the wireless adapter driver and that fixed the problem for 2 weeks but now it is happening again.

I will try uninstalling the driver although I don't understanding how uninstalling it then restarting the laptop twice will reinstall it???
0 Kudos
EmeraldAvenger
Retired
Retired
2,840 2,755 185 362
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey @melissaw,  

Thank you for getting back to me. 

Did you try to test using an ethernet connection? If not, please test if the issue persists on a wired connection also. If you tried this step already, please re-post with the results of using the direct connection. 

You had mentioned that you were unsure about the uninstalling and restarting process. When you restart the Notebook, it checks all of the required drivers for the Notebook (this is a background process). If one is missing, it will install it. Just to make sure that it was installed properly, we restart twice, that way if something did not fully install the first time, it will populate on the second restart. 

Did you try to powercycle the network?
1. Shutdown your notebook.
2. Unplug the power to your router.
3. Unplug the power to your modem.
4. Wait at least 45 seconds.
5. Plug in the modem, and wait for it to come back online.
6. Plug in the router, and wait for it to come back online.
7. Turn on your notebook, and test your connection.

Have you tried to disable the Power Off option for the adapter?
1. Open Device Manager. (Win Key+R > type devmgmt.msc > OK)
2. Expand the Network adapters.
3. Right click on the Ethernet/Wireless Adapter and click Properties.
4. Click the Power Management tab.
5. Remove the check mark beside Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
6. Click OK.
7. Test.

Have you tried to reset the TCP/IP settings on your Notebook?
1. Go to your start screen/menu and type CMD.
2. Right click on the command prompt icon and chose Run as administrator.
3. In the window that opens type "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt" without quotes, and press enter.
4. Restart your PC and test.

It may also help to reset the winsock catalogue:
1. Go to your start screen/menu and type CMD.
2. Right click on the command prompt icon and chose Run as administrator.
3. In the window that opens type "netsh winsock reset" without quotes, and press enter.
4. Restart your PC and test.

Did you happen to try and test your Notebook on another connection? 

Even if another device is working on the same network, networking is not that simple. Each device interacts differently with your router or modem and it is impossible to rule out settings in that device until the notebook has been tested on another network.

Please re-post and let me know the detailed results to the steps and questions above. I hope that one of these methods helps resolve the issue for you. 

Looking forward to hearing from you! 

Have a wonderful day!

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation