cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 41 of 77
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wireless issues on HP2000-350US with Atheros AR9485 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter

i need this drivers

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
12 12 0 2
Message 42 of 77
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Briduce1,

On your question for locating the driver, your HP already came with those drivers so your machine will recognize them. 

Some general tips, you can access the control panel and under system setting,  and have a forced windows search for the drivers and Windows 7 installs them to that device automatically. Windows 7 does this process each time you boot up but you can still not trust it and do it manually.

The only time Windows would not do this is if someone powered the wireless card off or the wireless card is bad and windows 7 would not read the device. There is also a possiblity of virus infection and the operating system has corrupted drivers, the best fix for this a complete reload of everything after you have moved your data to a safe place before the reload.

I would also advise to not use google for finding these drivers.  The correct drivers for these have been certified by MicroSoft Operating System and are Digitally Signed within your operating system.

If you download some promised third party drivers from some other web site,  I strongly recommend you have your antivirus run a complete scan of those files. I also recommend Micro Soft Security Essentials for this task and a better level of protection.

I personally would not download these drivers when the digitally signed one is already within your operating system, you do not know where they have been or what has been compiled thereon.

Good Luck with your Wireless card

The Snerdly Lizard

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 4 0 0
Message 43 of 77
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I would like to know why my wireless adapter constantly drops my wireless connection when nobody else in the same room or in the whole house for that matter doesn't loose connection.  I want this fixed today WITHOUT having to send my computer back in to you since I need it daily for work. It gets really annoying that I almost always have to have a wired LAN connection for something that should work wirelessly!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
12 12 0 2
Message 44 of 77
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Drewkenton,

Sorry to hear about your troubles. This will the third repost I have made on this subject.

These steps do work and you will be in a drop free zone. Please repost your comments to others if you like the results of it working. Remember to do both of the processes, Process One and Process Two.

Good Luck, The Snerdly Lizard

This is the THIRD repost:

Both processes requires administrator rights.

The first process was metioned earlier but i will list it again.

Process One:

Step 1: Select Control Panel

Step 2: Select Hardware and Sound

Step 3: Select Device Manager

Step 4: Open Network Adapters List by clicking on name

Step 5: Select Atheros AR9485

Step 6: Right Click and Select Properties

Step 7: Select tab titled "Power Management"

Step 8: UNCHECK or DESELECT the option button which says "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

Step 9: Hit OK

Process Two:

Step 1: Select Control Panel

Step 2: Select Hardware and Sound

Step 3: Under Power Options, Select Change Battery Settings, Left Click
Step 4: Under HP Recommended Power Plan, Select Blue Link Titled "Change plan settings"

Step 5: Under Blue Link Titled "Change advanced power settings"

Step 6: Look for TAB Titled "Wireless Adapter Settings", Open this selection by clicking on left mouse

Step 7: Open Menu Power Saving, for on battery and plugged in, Select "Maximum Performance" VICE "Low Power Savings" *Make sure to do both settings for battery and plugged in.*

Step 8: Hit Apply, Then Hit OK

Highlighted
Level 1
10 9 0 0
Message 45 of 77
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yeah third repost but that doesn't mean it works to solve the problem. The first thing I did was wipe the pc to get rid of all the useless hp garbage. Then I found a different atheros driver online, whoever said don't use google doesn't know what they're talking about. The hp driver is largely out of date. The thing that I think finally fixed it was adjusting te security settings on my wireless router. Try free balling it with 0 security to see if the laptop behaves, if so, try playing with the different security options your router allows.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
12 12 0 2
Message 46 of 77
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello ml989,

On those comments of this being a third repost and not working is to hard to believe.

My mother and son are not computer savy and have the exact same HP models purchased at different locations. They use them on daily basis at different wireless access points and have had their computers since December 2011. One latop is in Florida, the other in California, and I live in the Arizona desert.

That said, when analyzing your comments about those changes for the settings not working on this make of laptop is not a true and factual statement. 

Specifically, there are two different physical locations and different networks for these users and they have not had any problems for wireless connections.  The problem in my family is I am a level III network engineer with a Science Degree in Information Security . Any computer problems are mine regardless if I want them or not and I can tell you 2000% I have not received any complaints from my mom or son on their laptops. I would also note other posts from other viewers who have made these changes and had positive results and worked the first time.  

On that issue of getting that driver from a third party using Google.  it's true you can download a driver for anything, you do so at your own risk.   MicroSoft certifies drivers for performance and stability and have them available. These third party drivers mentioned were written in some cases by people like myself and posted.  I have written wireless network drivers in Linux to get Fedora to work for a client and eventually burned up the LinkSys wireless network card.

The concept is the same. If one is using a MicroSoft Operating System, only use those drivers which are MicroSoft Certified with Digital Signatures or take the risk of damaging hardware components just as I had done so on the LinkSys wireless network card for Fedora. 

I would never portray to any viewers giving the impression Google is the answer, it's not.

If you want reliability and stability of the operating system and hardware components, use only those drivers which have Digital Signatures by MicroSoft.  You may look at the MicroSoft Catalog for those drivers to your machine and follow the instructions:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323166

The Snerdly Lizard

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
10 9 0 0
Message 47 of 77
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ok that's a cool story bro. I too work as a systems analyst and Microsoft has no capital S just FYI. Google is an essential tool, unless your Jesus and know all. My suggestion regarding google is to find an updated driver, if it's not Microsoft signed, it'll tell you during install. When I googled (gasp!) for an updated driver, it took me to a HP download page for another laptop model that uses the same chip, but for some reason HP had not posted it for this exact model. Dell has this driver posted as well. An INF is an INF, it's a generic card not HP or Dell specific. I'm not ruling out a power issue, but how come that didn't fix my laptop, and by reading other posts, many others? I stand by my original recommendation by turning off your wireless security temporarily to see how the laptop behaves and then adjust accordingly. That however might be a little advanced for some users who are undoubtedly frustrated already.

And BTW, everyone in the IT world knows that the networking group is the most difficult bunch to work with. -never a network problem, always a PC/ device issue.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 4 0 0
Message 48 of 77
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Let's see if it works...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 4 0 0
Message 49 of 77
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry, but I don't really care about ppls backgroundd much. The important thing is that it gets fixed and gets it to  work. Funny how there are a lot of people out there that consider themselves "experts"or burnt up boards. These are the same people that create products that make you purchase more instead of being able to utilize what you have. Explain to my wife about the "new certified" programs and she will throw her iPad that isn't the latest and CANNOT get some of the apps of today.And if you ask, what computer I want to use...it would be my 7 year old Dell instead of this dumb thing. What operating software? Windows 2000. What Office? 2003 because every one after that is screwed upand they ruin what used to be a good product and remove useful things or hide them.

The sad thing in all of this is that I have worked with multiple computers of the same make and model and tried installing software on them and they all acted differently. Doesn't matter if it is installing HP on another HP or micing them. Just because it is Microsoft doesn't mean it is "Certified" nor works for that matter .Just a big ploy to make you spend more money. That is why I have to convert some documents to Word 2003 to post them so others can read them....There, I said my beef.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 4 0 0
Message 50 of 77
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Nice post! Maybe you should stick to not posting and learn to help people instead by badgering them. I know this about hardware and software but you cannot tell me that they cannot make something that you can upgrade easily and without buying a new one? Do you buy a new car instead of getting tires?

Well, beside his rude comments. I mean that I have purchased 5 laptops for friends and family members in the last year. Not one has been flawless on creating system disks. Loved the days when software came on some other electronic medias. One worked, one couldn't write the last disk. And now this main problem with this one. I wish something would work right out of the box without issues.

As far as the wireless adapter, I have talked with tech support and they stated they would send me a new modem...has anyone been able to get them to send them the Intel one instead? If so, how hard was it to get them to do this?

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation