Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
5 3 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

ZBook 14 G2 AMD FirePro - graphics crashes on battery power (Display driver stopped responding and..

HP Recommended
ZBook 14 G2
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello everyone!

SHORT STORY: My HP ZBook 14 G2 with hybrid graphics Intel + AMD FirePro crashes all the time on flash/videos/games when on battery power (no matter if graphic settings are set to power saving or high performance). Everything works fine when the laptop is plugged into the AC power.

LONG STORY:

I've got a problem with my HP Zbook 14 G2 - the version with the hybrid graphics Intel + AMD FirePro.

I've had this laptop for a couple of months now, but only been using it plugged in to the AC so far - everything worked perfectly!

Today for the first time I've unplugged it for a longer period of time. The following happens only on battery power:

When opening any graphic websites with a lot of flash or videos:
---> Screen freezes for a couple of seconds, then
---> Screen goes black for a second or two, then

---> Screen gets back to normal with a notification in the right corner of the screen that says:

Display driver stopped responding and has recovered

Display driver AMD driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Capture.PNG

It can be as frequent as a couple of times per minute, making this laptop unusable on battery power.

I've already tried:

- setting the hybrid graphics switching to high performace for OnBattery&PluggedIn

- setting all the graphics options for "on battery power" in both cards to high performance and battery saving

- deselected the "allow additional power-savings" in the AMD Catalyst Control Center

It's an expensive laptop/workstation with a price tag of about $2,200+ or 2,000+ EUR...so it should at least work.

I'm too experienced with computers to have faith that they can repair it in the service for me, and I'm using this computer so I would rather not send it to the service... Anyway, if there are people who have/had this problem and found a solution, I would really appreciate any help here.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

I also have HP Zbook 14 G2.

I have the same problem. I also noticed that the problem occurs when it's on battery.

Currently I have no solutions.

Best regards,

Nico

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
5 3 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Up

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

I made an update my graphics card drivers but nothing has changed.

Kind regards,

Nicolas

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
5 3 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Any ideas what to do about this problem?

I think that I will create a case in HP support...and then we will see what they suggest.

The main problem is that when on battery, this laptop is totally unusable because no matter if you choose power saving or maximum performance settings, those crashes persist...and they are very frequent as I mentioned in the original post. Maybe I'll just get the money back and buy another laptop - I seriously doubt they have a solution for me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

Did you find any solution to this problem?

We also have a crashing zbook running Windows 8.1 Ent. However for us the crashing driver is the Intel's graphics driver. Crashing happens usually when using MS Office programs. I've tried changing the power settings, reinstalling drivers, updating BIOS, changing registry keys and reinstalling Office. Nothing helps. Windows updates are up to date.

Any help would be appreciated 🙂

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation