cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
ElKlaaso2
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post

ZBook 15 G3 ATA Security / Class 0 / Bios password support for the 960 Pro (1TB & 512GB)

HP Recommended
ZBook 15 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Dear all,

I recently installed a 960 Pro 1 TB NVME drive in my Zbook 15 G3.

I choose this drive because it is fast and it supports Class 0 / ATA Security and OPAL self ecnryption (SED).

However, i cannot set a password on this drive in the EUFI/bios of the Zbook 15 G3, it is not listed.

I have confirmed with Samsung that the 960 Pro supports Class 0 and they say that the bios/motherboard needs support for it.

Does HP have any plans to release an updated firmware to support the 960 PRO bios password?

Or do they have another solution for this?

This is the fastest drive available on the market and probably a likely choice for owners of a workstation laptop.

I really need hardware encryption, software encryption is not an option because of the performance penalty.

As a possible last resort: can anyone confirm if bios password for the 950 Pro, SM951, SM961 or other NVME drives is supported by the Zbook 15 G3 bios?

Or does anyone know encryption software that supports 960 Pro TCG/OPAL, i have confirmed that Windows 10 bitlocker does not support the 960 Pro with hardware encryption.

This is the message i got from Samsung:

"

Dear Customer, 

Thank you for contacting Samsung Support regarding your concerns and inquiries. We apologize for any inconvenience this may be causing you. The 960 series SSDs have support for both encryption levels, Class 0 and TCG OPAL 2.0. However, you must make sure your motherboard or software can activate the these encryption feature for a drive connected through an M.2 connection.

Thank you again for contacting Samsung Support and have a good day.

"

Investigation of the 960 Pro by Lenovo:

"

.. the Samsung 960 Pro 1 TB meets UEFI v.2.4 specifications and supports HDD passwords  ..

"

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/Can-I-add-a-Samsung-950-Pro-NVMe-SSD-to-...

Confirmation by Lenovo P50 user that 960 Pro bios password is supported on P50:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/P50-Samsung-960-PRO-EVO-amp-840-EVO-Inst...

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation