Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
H1nt Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

ZBook Studio G3. DriveLock available with SSD?

ZBook Studio G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello! DriveLock works on my ZBook Studio G3 with SSD or no? I can't activate it in BIOS, because drive list is empty. Steps: BIOS, Security, Hard Drive Utilities, DriveLock. There is only "Select a Drive" caption on the screen and no drives at all.

DriveLock is specified in specification:

www8.hp.com/us/en/workstations/zbook-studio.html

Thank you!

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
PhD Student PhD Student
PhD Student
848 848 45 88
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Very good question. The Drivelock technology was developed for ATA (SATA) controllers and is part of that specification. the latest NVME SSD controllers do not support that particular standard, so the BIOS does not see a drive capable of understanding the Drivelock command. If your Studio does not have an NVME (HP ZTurbo Drive 2.0) SSD, then we should look at that further

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
0 Kudos
H1nt Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the answer! Yes, I have HP ZTurbo Drive inside notebook. So I can't use DriveLook, unfortunately. But now I have another question (not associated with HP). Is it ok to use TrueCrypt (VeraCrypt) or BitLocker with SSD to encrypt it? Or it's a bad idea? I read something about problems with TRIM function, free space, reallocation etc. I need DriveLook replacement.

0 Kudos
PhD Student PhD Student
PhD Student
848 848 45 88
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You are certainly fine using Microsoft Bitlocker on your ZTurbo Drive G2 (nvme) SSDs. All encryption is done in s/w so there is no impact to the SSD. The typical issues with SSDs are related to longevity and flash write cycles. The drives HP uses on the commercial products are qualified for endurance. The issues tend to arise as your storage capacity gets filled up and the ability of the controller to spread the data around as needed gets hampered. These drives have additional flash available for these cases (not seen by the OS) so the recommendation is to try and prevent the drives to fill up. Also, i would disable Hibernate and Windows fast start (in wnidows 10) -- the SSD is fast enough to restart so those features are not very useful

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation