Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 1
16 13 0 0
Message 1 of 13
Flag Post

ZBook Studio shipped with Power-on password set

HP Recommended
ZBook Studio G3

I unpacked my brand new, foiled ZBook Studio half an hour ago from it's original, unharmed packaging. It asks for a power-on password on boot.. and I can't access bios setup either. I found no hints in the packaging for the password.. is this some kind of joke?!

The machine was ordered completely officially (actually 2 of them was ordered and only one shipped with a password set). I can provide all details (SN, PN, MAC address, anything) and it has a verified active warranty till Feb 16, 2019 according to HP Support Center.

Please help me out as soon as possible. Thank you.

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Level 18
49,520 49,455 9,898 16,755
Message 2 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

If you Contact HP Business support they can send you a customised SMC.bin file which you can use at boot to reset the password.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
16 13 0 0
Message 3 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If I wait until Monday, I can call directly the HP sales guy we made this order at or even better, I might visit him personally, though it'll probably ruin his week.

I still find it absolutely ridiculous to wait a month for such a top tier machine and then find out that I can't start using it because.. what exactly has happened when your foiled original package ships with such a configuration???

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18
Message 4 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Completely agree - my guess is that this was inadvertently added when the machine went through testing.

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
16 13 0 0
Message 5 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yeah I kinda gave it up to solve this problem over the weekend.. but I'm still not sure what to say for this whole story, it's just plain incredible.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18
Message 6 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Personally, I'd contact HP Business Support ( request Tier 2 Support ) and just tell them the machine has shipped with a power on password in place - they can send  the required smc.bin file via email along with instructions on its use.

Best regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
16 13 0 0
Message 7 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I already had a chat session with a technician but as I am not from the US (but Hungary, Central Europe), they drove me away and told me that the local HP should deal with my problem on Monday (they are available on working days only). Go figure.. 😐

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18
Message 8 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Well I guess it will have to be Monday, but it should be pretty quick to sort out once you can get hold of them.

Let me know if you run into any issues with this.

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

Highlighted
Author
Level 1
16 13 0 0
Message 9 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Well, still no love..

I got to HP tech support the morning, they opened a ticket and after sending them a photo of the problem and the invoice they claimed this can't be fixed with flashing a new bios because it's a post power-on password, not a bios one.

Talking to our HP sales guy after he said support might be wrong on this and they might reconsider their openion and contact me with some process to fetch the uuid of the machine (necessary for generating the file to flash) but this has not happened yet.

They'll likely run out of time very soon too, as I'm about to return this machine tomorrow noontime (to stay within the 3 days return period) and declare it as a DOA.. a lose-lose situation for everyone but I'm not risking keeping a faulty rig.

If the whole process would really take as much as you described, this could get done in 20 minutes.. We'll see how it ended up tomorrow.

Best,
K
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18
Message 10 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

I think the HP tech has got this issue a bit confused.

True - flashing the bios will not remove the power on password - it's stored in an area of nvram that will not be over-written by a flash.

What they need to send you is a smc.bin file - the information they need from you to create this is the serial number and uuid - this is a time limited system management file that you can boot from and reset the password.  It is sent to you via email along with instructions on its use.

My best advice would be see if you can get hold of another HP tech ( this usually needs to be tier 2 support level ) and press them for the smc file.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation