Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Intern
Intern
38 1 10
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Zbook G3 Thunderbolt 3 External GPU support

Zbook G3

For the Zbook G3 series, is HP going to support external GPU enclosures via Thunderbolt 3?  I believe it requires support at the firmware (UEFI) level along with driver support for maximum compatibility.

4 REPLIES
Grad Student Grad Student
Grad Student
235 13 28
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This will be a 3rd party solution. HP does not provide any After Market Option for this solution.

0 Kudos
Grad Student Grad Student
Grad Student
235 13 28
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The Thunderbolt firmware Version 16.1.47.275 was released yesterday. This thunderbolt dock fw will support for external GPU user notifications.

Intern
Intern
38 1 10
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks, that is good information to know as the external GPU market matures. I don't see anything in SoftPaq yet, it is showing 15.3.40.275 as the latest.  The change log is interesting, which is from Intel's website (I think I have the right one based upon the version number).

The current UEFI gives GPU options for Auto, integrated GPU, and discrete GPU.  Will HP modify the UEFI options change to show external GPU to allow for pre-OS support / usage and turn on the monitors?

I am assuming external GPUs will work best on the other Thunderbolt 3 port instead of going though the dock, perhaps you have information on that?

Changes:
========
Version 16.1.47.275
  - Hotfix: Application GUI does not pop up on device hotplug after initial package installation
  - HVCI compliance per Microsoft Device Guard recommendations

Version 16.1.45.250
  - Added support for Alpine Ridge LP and Alpine Ridge C-step (including FW Update SDK)
  - Added Firmware Update progress indication in FW Update SDK and samples
  - Added SDK sample to update Firmware on device only
  - Added support for devices made of multiple controllers
  - Added support for external GPU user notifications
  - Added RSS support to Thunderbolt Networking to improve performance capabilities
  - General improvements and bug fixes

Version 15.3.40.275
  - Hotfix: added user notification when update needed for the Thunderbolt 3 port to function properly.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
37386 5647 9753
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Don't hold your breath on a UEFI/BIOS update to enable a product HP does not make. 

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation