cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
hannanshaikh Tutor
Tutor
18 4 0 3
Message 1 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

after upgrading to windows 10 z drive is created

pavilion 15 ab029tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

i upgraded to windows 10 yesterday it upgraded successfully but i see that there is one drie in my pc i.e z drive when i open it it says you dont have permission and access is denied it is about 256 mb drive so can you plese help

25 REPLIES 25
Retired
Retired
947 891 41 165
Message 2 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hey @hannanshaikh,

I understand you have some questions about the drive labeled (Z: ) on your notebook. I'd be happy to help.

That new drive labeled (Z: ) is the restore partition which is added to give you the option of restoring back to your previous version of windows. It is nothing to worry about, and should not be deleted.

Hope this answer your question. If it does, hit that Thumbs Up, and Accept as Solution.

Cheers,

TechSurge.

TechSurge
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.

delcarto Top Student
Top Student
6 4 0 0
Message 3 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Rahter than post a fresh topic, I have elected to piggy back on this one. If I need to repost this fresh, please let me know.

I have the same issue only my system is brand new out of the box.

There is a 360mb Fat 32 partition(labaled drive Z) AND I also have 2 Recovery partitions.

This is not an upgraded system. It was a clean and fresh Windows 10 installation.

By the way, Drive Z has me locked out with no Permissions.

Also, a right click on drive Z shows that there is not an option for Security attributes on this Fat32 drive.

Are you certain this is normal?

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
947 891 41 165
Message 4 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hey @delcarto,

As far as I know, this is absolutely normal, and all of the windows 10 machines we have here at the office have this drive. If it should cause any problems in the future let us know, but I haven't seen any issues with this. It could also just be the cache showing up as a drive. Nothing to worry about.

Cheers,

TechSurge.

TechSurge
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Intern
Intern
45 41 0 1
Message 5 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I have a HP ab522tx laptop. It came preinstalled with Windows 10 x64bit. The system Z drive is being auto shown in my computer. It came outta nowhere after a week of usage. It's total size is 256mb, 191mb is free out of it. I can't open it and cannot view its contents. What exactly is this drive? Where did it come from? Any way to delete(if it's safe to do that) or hide it?

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
947 891 41 165
Message 6 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hey @becool773,

Like I explained in the comments above, That new drive labeled (Z: ) is the restore partition which is added to give you the option of restoring back to your previous version of windows. It is nothing to worry about, and should not be deleted.

Cheers,
TechSurge.

TechSurge
I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
45 41 0 1
Message 7 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi @,

Thanks for replying. My friend is using the same laptop as mine. He has also created a restore point but the restore partition is not being shown in his laptop. Why is that so? And if this is a restore partition then how come it if of only 256mb in size? I don't want to delete it, but can I hide it?

Regards

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
947 891 41 165
Message 8 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hey @becool773,

It may also be a cache drive. If you want to hide it, you can try this guide from howtogeek.com: How to Hide a Drive in Windows So that No One Will Know it’s There

Let me know if this helps.

Cheers,

TechSurge.

TechSurge
I work on behalf of HP

Intern
Intern
45 41 0 1
Message 9 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Tried hiding it from the disk management, but I am not able to do so.

http://oi67.tinypic.com/2jb2op1.jpg

What is this? Why is it showing up? And how to hide it?

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
947 891 41 165
Message 10 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hey @becool773,

If you're still unable to hide it, there's not a lot more I can suggest. You could try contacting microsoft and see if they have any idea how to hide it. 

The only other think I can think of is that maybe it's a cache drive.

Cheers,

TechSurge.

TechSurge
I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation