cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
fl4682 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

backup: System cannot find the file specified "C:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Documents"

HP Envy X360 m6-aq005dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This is a brand (1 week old) new lap top. Have run windows 7 backup twice. Both times the backup completed but with the error message that "System cannot find the file specified (0x80070002)"

The files are:

C:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Documents     and

C:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Pictures

I did a spot check and my documents and pictures did appear to get backed up.

My Documents are under "This PC - Documents\MyDocuments"

and my pictures are under "This PC - Pictures"

I also loaded my music and videos under the corresponding directories under "This PC" and backup does not complain about these directories.

Note I have two other computers another laptop and a desktop (both Dell Products) running Windows 10 and do not see this problem.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Provost Provost
Provost
23,355 21,807 1,873 6,943
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

backup: System cannot find the file specified "C:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Documents"

@fl4682

Welcome to the HP Community Forum.

System:

HP ENVY x360 - m6-aq005dx (ENERGY STAR)

Unclear why you are using a Windows 7 backup scheme on your new Windows 10 computer...

Regardless, the paths to which you refer may not exist in Windows 10.

The following path does exist (on three of the Windows 10 systems I have checked):

C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData

You might take advantage of the Windows File History program to back up the data in your account:

How to use Windows 10's File History backup feature | PCWorld

How to Use Windows' File History to Back Up Your Data

From the computer's How-to Section:

and

Dragon Reference:

Windows Features - Quick Tour

When you see a Post that helps you,

Inspires you, provides fresh insight,

Or teaches you something new,

Click the "Thumbs Up" on that Post.

Fixed / Answered? Click that post Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
0 Kudos
fl4682 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the info. I'll try file history. I'm using windows 7 backup because I'm familiar with it and it's working fine on my other 2 Windows 10 PCs for many months. But I'll try File History on my new HP laptop.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation