Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
6 5 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post

battery doesn't show it's discharging so computer shuts down unexpectedly

HP Recommended
Pavilion TouchSmart 11
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

Hi.

Just recently my computer has stared to shut down with no warning at all. On investigation I've discovered the battery meter stays at a constant 99%. 

Please help me fix this issue

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
14,461 14,098 715 1,909
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @crazylady13 

Welcome to the HP Forums!Smiley Happy

It is a terrific place to find answers and information!
For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide Learn How to Post and More

How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

I understand that your notebook shuts down unexpectedly when running on battery.  You have noticed that the battery meter stays at a constant 99%.

Here is a ink to HP Notebook PCs - Testing and Calibrating the Battery (Windows 😎 that should help.

Good Luck!

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
6 5 0 0
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I've tested and calibrated the battery and it says its condition is good . It just always says 99%
😞
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
14,461 14,098 715 1,909
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @crazylady13 

Thank you for your response.

As  the battery passes the hardware check there are a couple of other things to try. The Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery is basically the driver that communicates between the computer and the battery. There is a chance that it is corrupted. It is reading the battery level wrong, so the computer thinks the battery level is higher then what is actually is.

Step 1. Go to Device Manager
Step 2. Select Batteries
Step 3. Right click the "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" that is listed there
Step 4. Click Uninstall
Step 5. At the prompt put a check in the box to remove the current driver
Step 6. Shutdown the computer

Step 7: Remove the battery for minute and then put it back in

When the computer comes back up it should automatically find the driver.

Step 8. Go to Device Manager
Step 9. Select Batteries
Step 10. Right click the "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" that is listed there
Step 11. Click "Search automatically for updated driver software"

Do the same thing with Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Embedded Controller.

Thank you,

Sparkles1

Highlighted
Author
6 5 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well thanks Sparkles 1, I've had my partner help me tonight but nothing has changed.

My battery indicator is still showing a 'full' picture and saying 99% 😞

We managed the first part of your fix but couldn't find the Microsoft ACPI-compliant embedded controller anywhere!

Any more suggestions are gratefully accepted.

0 Kudos
Level 6
411 411 20 42
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That battery is toast , sometimes it can say its 100% charged and next second its at 10% , just get another one they are not that expensive.

Highlighted
Author
6 5 0 0
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've only had the computer 9 months.....and I rarely use it!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
14,461 14,098 715 1,909
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @crazylady13 

As the issue still remains , it could very well be the battery. I suggest contacting HP support for further assistance. I believe you should still be in warranty as you have only had the notebook for 9 months.

Please call our technical support at 800 474 6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get a support number for your region.

World Wide Phone Support

Good Luck!

Sparkles1

Highlighted
Author
6 5 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your help.

The battery does now show creasing percentages when charging....but alas, nothing has changed while discharging.

I will contact HP support in the UK, or the shop it was bought from as they gave me a two year warranty.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
6 5 0 0
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have tried discharging and recharging the battery but it seems to have a mind of its own, displaying random percentages.

Have spoken to the store where it was purchased and they are going to repair it under warranty.

Many thanks

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation