cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
balstaf
Level 3
26 21 2 3
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

battery drain after win10 update

HP Recommended
Envy 6 1010sv
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everybody!

Recently updated to win10. No major issues so far. My only problem is the battery drainage. According to specifications, my laptop has a 6 hour work time when unplugged. Ever since I updated, my work time has diminished to 3hrs max. I had no problems woth my battery so far, that's why I believe that it has something to do with either Windows or drivers. 

I have installed all updates from HP support assistant. I have also tampered with the power saving setting with no success. 

Any suggestions?

Thank you!!!

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
LazyBlues
Level 3
42 41 1 16
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@balstaf wrote:

Hi everybody!

Recently updated to win10. No major issues so far. My only problem is the battery drainage. According to specifications, my laptop has a 6 hour work time when unplugged. Ever since I updated, my work time has diminished to 3hrs max. I had no problems woth my battery so far, that's why I believe that it has something to do with either Windows or drivers. 

I have installed all updates from HP support assistant. I have also tampered with the power saving setting with no success. 

Any suggestions?

Thank you!!!

Does your battery drain when you sleep the laptop or shut down.

There is a major problem with drivers and Windows 10, because my laptop would not sleep or shut down, unless I did a hard shut down my battery would drain very easily.

0 Kudos
balstaf
Author
Level 3
26 21 2 3
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi! Thank you for your reply.

I have read the "no-sleep" problems. But mine shuts down properly and the Hibernate and Sleep functions work fine. I don't think it drains the battery when turned off, since when I turn it on (after fully charged and unplugged for the night) it is on 100%. 

As for your problems, I would suggest updating the drivers from the HP support assistant. I had the same problem with my first few reboots, but it was solved after I updated. Try it out.

0 Kudos
balstaf
Author
Level 3
26 21 2 3
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Seems that noone else experiences the same problem.... 😞

I'll try to figure it out. Maybe something is messing with the power settings or something works constantly. Anywway, I will leave the thread open in case anyone stumbles upon anything.

0 Kudos
Rixander
Level 7
1,033 994 33 154
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

try the power settings and also your brightness setting lower a bit to use a bit less power

and when you are not using the laptop on battery while you are taking a break set the power to turn the display off like after 5 min or something

this will conserve but for any normal continuous work and if it is draining faster also check your background apps and makes sure they are not running and also have if you do have antivirus have it set to scan when you have your device is plugged in

also turn live tiles off so it does not continue to run while you are using your laptop and you will see that as a metro thing like w8 has

you will find the power setting should be in the control panel

good luck

Please provide Kudos to whom has provided answers or
good points or advice..
Aslo if the questions or issues solved please check it
"Accepted"
Thanks and you are welcome _____ Rick
0 Kudos
balstaf
Author
Level 3
26 21 2 3
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've already tried these steps. Nothing chaged. That's why i believe that it is something with the drivers. Which ones? I don't know...

0 Kudos
SFSTechsupport
1 1 0 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Same as mine, I have 4 laptop HP 1 @Envy K024TX, 1 @ProBook 450 G2, 2 @ProBook 6450 and all my HP laptop have the same problem the battery drain after win10 update and I realized if my laptop is in full battery condition before I shutdown the laptop and for some reason after a couple hours the battery is drain automatically and I really sure I have shutdown my laptop. please help me with this and I think we need to get the update of the driver or tell to microsoft to fix the win10 issue with HP battery drain automatically after shutdown.

Thank you for any help.......

0 Kudos
balstaf
Author
Level 3
26 21 2 3
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello!!!

While searching from my issue, I found many threads describing the exact same problem you describe. From what I remember the issue was with the graphics card drivers and the sleep/hibernate process. 

This could be a windows issue that might require resetting windows or format.

Take a look around, you will definitely find many solved threads!

0 Kudos
ShrikantDube
1 1 0 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

This is not due to windows 10. Do the following things to overcome the battery drainage problem.

1.Update your system drivers from manufacturer websites.

2.If you are net addicted use Microsoft Edge or Mozilla browser only. Chrome is light weight but eating 70% more battery, 

These steps will solve your battery drainage problem.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation