Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
tuttman Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

battery life

notebook 17-x114dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I just bought this notebook 17 and the battery completely discharges with little or no use in less than 24 hours. Is this normal, and if it is that seems unexceptable. I have tried to contact support but this seems like the only way to talk to anyone.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
37081 5596 9645
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

battery life

That's pretty much what you get here..."anyone". That's me. We don't work for HP for the most part we are just fellow end users who can give advice but have no power to make any kind of financial adjustment or ship any replacement parts to you. But the advice I can give you starts with testing the battery. There is a battery health diagnostic both in the UEFI diagnostic (tap F2 as you power up) and the HP Support Assistant from within running Windows. Try those and report back what it says as far as how the cells of the battery are working. Either the battery itself is defective or you are not really shutting off the laptop and some program or process is continuing to leach power when you think it is off. 

0 Kudos
tuttman Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

battery life

@Huffer wrote:

That's pretty much what you get here..."anyone". That's me. We don't work for HP for the most part we are just fellow end users who can give advice but have no power to make any kind of financial adjustment or ship any replacement parts to you. But the advice I can give you starts with testing the battery. There is a battery health diagnostic both in the UEFI diagnostic (tap F2 as you power up) and the HP Support Assistant from within running Windows. Try those and report back what it says as far as how the cells of the battery are working. Either the battery itself is defective or you are not really shutting off the laptop and some program or process is continuing to leach power when you think it is off. 

I did the UEFI battery test and in about 3 seconds it said passed, not the 2 minutes it said it would take. Thanks for your quick responce. You are right that I did not completely shut the unit down, but I will try that tonight. I think it is not good that it can't hold a charge for 24 hours in sleep mode though.  Thanks again

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation