cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
naomi123
6 4 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

battery only charges when laptop is off

Pavilion au072sa

Hi all,

My laptop is new, i've had it for just about a month now. There's usually an orange charging light on the side of the laptop that illuminates when the charger is plugged in. However recently, whenever my laptop is on and i try to charge it, the orange light illuminates for a matter of seconds and comes up with the message "plugged in but not charging" and then the light just turns white and the laptop continually runs as if nothing is plugged in. However, when the laptop is turned off, the orange light will iluminate and will  charge to 100%. The charger is completely fine as it appears to charge the laptop when it is off. I have even purchased a new charger and that has made no difference. It appears as though it's some type of settings problem, but i have checked settings and nothing seems to be different. Any help would be appreciated, as i'd hate to have to keep switching of my laptop just so that it will charge.

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Retired
Retired
14,461 14,098 715 1,905
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @naomi123,

Welcome to the HP Forum!  It is a terrific place to find answers and tips! For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide. First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More

I gather you have had your notebook for about a month. When you connecting the AC adapter and are actively using the notebook it is not charging, but if you power the notebook off the notebook charges the battery. You have tried a different adapter with the same results.  Have you done all your Windows updates? Have you run the HP Support Assistant? Have you tested the battery and does it pass?  It could be that the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery has become corrupt and reading the battery level incorrectly.  It is  basically the driver that communicates between the computer and the battery. Once it is powered off and you are outside of Windows it then starts charging. Please try these steps:

Step 1. Go to Device Manager.
Step 2. Select Batteries.
Step 3. Right click the "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" that is listed there.
Step 4. Click Uninstall.
Step 5. At the prompt put a check in the box to remove the current driver.
Step 6. Shutdown the computer.

Step 7: Remove the battery for one minute and then put it back in.
When the computer comes back up it should automatically find the driver.
Step 8. Go to Device Manager.
Step 9. Select Batteries.
Step 10. Right click the "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" that is listed there.
Step 11. Click "Search automatically for updated driver software".

If the issue remains and the battery did pass the test, please contact HP Support for further assistance.  Contact HP Support  Fill out the online form and follow the prompts.  Please let me know the outcome.

If this post helps you to resolve the issue, please pay it forward by clicking "Accept as Solution", to the right of the Thumbs up icon. You can click the Thumbs Up Icon” to show gratitude! 🙂

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
naomi123
6 4 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Sparkles1

I've tried the Microsoft ACPI control method and the laptop is still not charging when active. I'm afraid to remove the battery as it is internally in the laptop, and I would have to unscrew the casing at the bottom in order to get to it, and I don't want to risk damaging my laptop.
0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
16,541 17,373 956 2,198
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @naomi123,

Is the Notebook adapter plugged directly into a wall outlet no power bar as it could cause this issue. Remove any USB devices.

Let me know. Thanks. 

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
naomi123
6 4 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Mrstenter
The adapter is plugged straight into the wall.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
16,541 17,373 956 2,198
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @naomi123,

This could be something in the settings. Have you tried a factory reset? HP Recovery Manager can be accessed from the Start Menu, or by tapping F11 key as soon as you power on the laptop. Recovery Manager is used to reinstall back to factory. This link shows you how. 

Let me know what happens.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
naomi123
6 4 0 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Mrstenter

I have done as you said and still no luck. The laptop is still only charging when it is not active.
0 Kudos
naomi123
6 4 0 0
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Mrstenter

I spoke way to soon, it's working! Thank so much for your help and patience 🙂
0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
16,541 17,373 956 2,198
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey 

Can you mark my post as the Accepted solution so other can see the fix. 

Thanks.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation