Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Top Student
Message 1 of 8 (5,702 Views)
Accepted Solution

black screen with no cursor or bios available

I have a HP Pavilion dv7 laptop that seems to power up okay but has a black screen with no cursor.  The fan runs for a few seconds and blinking lights show near the cap lock button and on the upper right of the keyboad.  I pulled the hard drive and tested it ok and tried moving the memory around with no luck.  I also tried the reset trick by turning off and holding the power switch for one minute.  I searched this forum and anyplace on the internet that I could find and all I could gather was that this is no uncommon but nobody seemed to have an answer.   Could the cmos battery cause this ?  I always have a a battery available to check but this is a differant style and I will have to order one.  This computer is about two years old and running Vista.

Accepted Solution

Re: black screen with no cursor or bios available

Never mind! Looks like you guys have it figured out.

View solution in context
Grad Student
Message 2 of 8 (5,692 Views)

[ Edited ]

I would suggest trying the suggestions in the following link which will also give you the blink codes for the error you are seeing:

Troubleshooting when a PC doesn't power or boot

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01443371

Blink Code Errors

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01732674

I am an HP employee.
Please post rather than sending a Private Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly.- Thank you.
Please click the White Kudos star on the left to say thanks.
Please mark Accept As Solution if this resolves your issue.
Top Student
Message 3 of 8 (5,686 Views)

It appears to be a graphics problem but will check all items from the beginning.  Can you tell me if the graphics card is seperate or is it part of the motherboard.  I never disassembled a laptop before but it looks like the time has come Thank you and will post when results are known.

Grad Student
Message 4 of 8 (5,681 Views)

We actually do not consider our graphics cards customer replaceable parts.  I would not suggest that you try to do this it could be more trouble than it's worth.  That doesn't necessarily mean that it can't be done depending on the unit I just don't suggest that you try.

I am an HP employee.
Please post rather than sending a Private Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly.- Thank you.
Please click the White Kudos star on the left to say thanks.
Please mark Accept As Solution if this resolves your issue.
Provost
Message 5 of 8 (5,679 Views)

The service here has been used by several members who reported excellent service & results:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-DV7-DV-7-Laptop-No-Video-REPAIR-Black-White-screen-/250810360316?pt=LH_De...

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others**
******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to say -Thanks!.******
Top Student
Message 6 of 8 (5,661 Views)

Thank you at least the problem looks to be found.
Grad Student
Message 7 of 8 (5,644 Views)

[ Edited ]

Never mind! Looks like you guys have it figured out.

Message 8 of 8 (1,666 Views)

How was it fixed? I have the same problem!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation