Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
justjim64 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 1
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

blue screen on pavilion dv7 sgfxk64.sys

pavilion dv7-6b32us
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

windows 10 upgrade fails repeatedly with error :

system_service_exception (sgfxk64.sys)

and gives the classic BSOD.

now its stuck  on the BSOD "We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you.(100% complete)

2 REPLIES
Dean Dean
Dean
7796 621 2764
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support forum.

Did you begin the Win 10 upgrade process ? If yes, at what stage exactly it fails with this error ?

This seems to be a driver related problem for the video/graphic card :

- Please, update all your drivers prior to updating to Windows 10

Use HP Support Assistant - free HP software for updates and check >> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03467905

- Check the Windows 10 upgrade tips >> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04730900

If you are now stuck, please, press the power-on PC button, keep it for some seconds to power off the machine. Start it again and let me know if you boot in Windows (to normal Win desktop). If YES, perform the steps above. If not, please post back

**** It would be great if you give me LIKE - please, hit the THUMB-UP+ button below
**** Mark this post as an ACCEPTED SOLUTION if it helps **** Thanks !

I am not employed by HP Inc. I express personal opinion only. **** HP Expert **** I work in IT and cyber security
0 Kudos
justjim64 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 1
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

once i found the driver causing the problem in ..\system32 folder i researched to find who the driver vendor was and once i found that i resolved by uninstalling additional video drivers for viewspan, then started the windows 10 upgrade again and it completed without error.

lesson learned -  always research the driver in the error then remove if not essential, reinstall after sucessful upgrade.

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation