cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
jbmarshall
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

both shift keys stopped working

After the HDD failed, i replaced the disk. Windows 8 was reinstalled from the recovery disks, then upgraded to windows 10, and the shift keys stopped working. 

I've tried all sorts -

I initially reverted to windows 8 (clean install), followed by changing region/keyboard settings

Also tried running Ubuntu from live CD,

online keyboard test.

bios reset

update bios to latest version

replaced keyboard.

booting with shift key held.

Running out of ideas now, and wife needs laptop for an assignment....Any ideas?? 

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
21,418 21,373 1,802 2,890
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@jbmarshall

Thank you for joining HP Forums.}

I'll be glad to help you 🙂

As I understand both shift keys stopped working,

To clarify you've replaced the keypad or is it that you've made use of an external keyboard as a replacement of the internal keypad?

Either way, if you've confirmed that the shift key doesn't work on both internal and external keyboards, I recommend you run a hardware (interactive) test using the HP Hardware diagnostics tool (Click here), capture the failure code and contact HP for a hardware replacement of the motherboard or the keypad connections.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

Mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

jbmarshall
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

External USB keyboard works fine, internal keyboard and replacement internal keyboard both have the same issue of shift keys not working. 

0 Kudos
jbmarshall
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hardware  failure id QCX263-6LU8G8-MFPWWJ-G01U03,

Product ID - D1Q47EA#ABU

reports that the two shift keys and the windows key does not work.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation