Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15 p210nr
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I recently purchased a new hard drive and installed it thinking I had made recovery discs when I purchased the computer.  Well, I can't find the discs, or I did not make any recovery discs (don't know which one).  Now my computer won't boot up with a blank hard drive.  Can I purchase recovery discs from HP?  Or do I need to purchase a brand new Windows 8.1 disc? 

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Looks like they cost about $45.  Thanks for posting that link.  Anyone know if they are universal? (ie: could I buy them on ebay).  Or are they model specific? 

HP Recommended

Seems like the only thing I need if I buy the recovery disc off of ebay is the product key for windows 8.1.  I'll have to check on the back of the battery for it because I know I don't have it otherwise.  And the computer won't boot up at all since I don't have an OS installed on the new hard drive to find it.  Or is there another way to find it? 

HP Recommended

@bigbrad123

Windows 8 and 8.1 COA is embedded in the BIOS.

It should Activate automatically.

REO

HP Recommended

Ok.  Thanks for all  of the help.  I will try to purchase a recovery disc off of ebay and give that a shot.  Crossing my fingers. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.