Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
km20 Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

can i upgrade my graphics card?

E8A65UAR#ABA
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

i was wondering if i could upgrade my graphics card for my pavilion notebook. product number E8A65UAR#ABA

if i cant is it possible to change the cpu to something stronger. i want to run higher end gaming that requires a minimum of a 1gb graphics card. currently have 4gb ram but if i am capable of upgrading i will be upgrading to 16 gb of ddr3 ram at 1600mhz

1 REPLY
Provost Provost
Provost
35604 5301 9117
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post

can i upgrade my graphics card?

Normally the kneejerk response to this question is "No", but in your case there is a faint light at the end of the tunnel. Your model has the AMD A6-5200 processor which in this case is more correctly called an APU. In these AMD A series processors, the video function is actually performed "on chip" i.e. in the processor. 

Here is the Service manual:

Manual

The top processor/APU for you is:

AMD™ A10-5745M 2.9 GHz/2.1 GHz processor (4 MB L2, 1333MHz DDR3L) Quad 25 W

If you upgrade the processor, it will also upgrade the graphics from the AMD HD 8200 series to HD 8610G. 

Don't misunderstand, this is not going to turn your laptop into an all-out gamer but it will provide somewhat better video performance and is the only thing you can do. There is no other possible upgrade to the video or processor. 

The other significant issue is that you have to replace the motherboard to get the A10 processor/APU. The motherboards all have the processor soldered on. 

So you can get this one:

AMD A10-5745M A76M 2.9 GHz/2.1 GHz (4 MB, L2, 1333MHz DDR3L Quad 25 W) for use with Windows Standard 738124-501

Or there is an alternate motherboard with discrete video which would be even better:

AMD A10-5745M 8670M 2.9 GHz/2.1 GHz (2 GB L2, 1333MHz DDR3L Quad 25 W) for use with Windows Standard. 734824-501

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HP-Touchsmart-15-N-AMD-Motherboard-738124-501-Build-in-A10-5745M-2-1Ghz-...

$109 for the motherboad with the UMA APU graphics.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-PAVILION-15-15-N-LAPTOP-MOTHERBOARD-AMD-10-5745M-8670M-2G-734824-501-TEST...

$169 for the discrete board. 

If you can do the labor yourself, it is not an unreasonable upgrade. If you get the discrete board you will also need a different fan/heatsink. 

Very few people actually wind up doing this kind of upgrade once it is made clear that you can't just go down to Best Buy, but a part and plug it in but maybe you want to try this. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as SOlution" to help others find it. 

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation