Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Scott_Schier Top Student
Top Student
7 6 0 0
Message 1 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

cannot get recovery disk to work on CQ58

Model Compaq CQ58

Product number is C2M29UA#ABA

Purchased 11/22/2012

Windows 8 preinstalled.

Turned laptop on and it came up with "No operating system found on HDD.

I inserted my recovery disc's and chose to install operating system and drivers image. 

It will complete the reformat...but while it starts to copy the files needed to reinstall the files it wil get to 16% and then gives the error message "Destination Drive not connected"

I ran the hard drive diagnostic, chose the complete test as opposed to the quick test and it passed with o problems detected.

Need help as this laptop is not even 3 months old

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
Provost Provost
Provost
46245 40506 4383 11264
Message 2 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Press the power button and then immediately tap the Esc key. In the Startup menu that appears choose F2 for HP Advanced System Diagnostics. Run the hard disk test and post your results here.

Best regards,

erico

If you really want to say thanks, click on the Thumbs up icon .
If your problem is solved or question answered by my post, please click the Accepted Solution button in that post.

0 Kudos
Scott_Schier Top Student
Top Student
7 6 0 0
Message 3 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

As I stated in my original post....I ran the Hard drive diagnostic and it passed with no problems detected.

Next?

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
46245 40506 4383 11264
Message 4 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry about that. I should have caught it.

Did you happen to have virus or malware activity as the reason you want to use the recovery disks?

Download this utility from HP and run it. You will need a blank  recordable CD-R. It was meant for Windows 7,but it may work for Windows 8.

it is meant to:

• Resolves an issue where Recovery Discs sent from HP do not work on a new hard drive or one that has been fully cleaned or "wiped".
  • Enables the creation of a bootable CD that can be used with a set of Recovery Discs sent from HP to install software on a new or "wiped" hard drive. 

edited: 

Best regards,

erico

If your problem is solved or question answered by my post, please click the Accepted Solution button in that post.

0 Kudos
Scott_Schier Top Student
Top Student
7 6 0 0
Message 5 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Your link did not work.

It was not a virus nor malware...as I stated I simply turned on the laptop and it displayed "No Operatin System Found"

Your link does not work....it displayed the following error message:

An Unexpected Error has occurred.
  • Sorry, your request failed. A notification has been sent to the development team for investigation.

Exception ID: 56C75F76

Please click the Back button on your browser.

0 Kudos
Scott_Schier Top Student
Top Student
7 6 0 0
Message 6 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well I guess that I will not get support here so I will have to call the support line. This is ridiculous that a laptop that is less than three months old fails and can't seem to be supported in the forums 

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
46245 40506 4383 11264
Message 7 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

I fixed the link. Give the utility a try.

It would have been nice if you had answered the question that I asked you. I do hope that you understand that almost all of the forum members, with a few exceptions,  who help are volunteers and not HP employees.

Best regards,

erico

0 Kudos
Scott_Schier Top Student
Top Student
7 6 0 0
Message 8 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dear Sir.....I did answer your question....which you must have missed as you did the question regarding if I ran the Hard drive diagnostic in  my original post.

As for being a volunteer I am aware of that and do tThank all of you for it....however you can also conduct yourself a little more professionaly and read an entire post before you assume that one has not followed your suggestions or answered your questions. READ the reply I posted to your inquiry as to if I had any virus or malware activity.

Regards,

Scott   [Personal Information Removed]

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
46245 40506 4383 11264
Message 9 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Did the utility work?

I am more interested in helping you than criticizing your statements. All I asked were simple questions. Thanks for reminding me that you had answered them.

Best regards,

erico

0 Kudos
Scott_Schier Top Student
Top Student
7 6 0 0
Message 10 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Unfortunately the utility did not work, I am ow in contact with HP customer support and we are working together to try to rectify this problem.  At this stage it looks like the system will have to be sent to HP for evaluation....the recovery media that they were going to send to me is on back order until 1/22/2013.

This is extremely frustrating as I will probably be without the laptop for a couple weeks. 

Thank you for your help

Scott

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation