cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
dg1972
Level 1
11 8 0 1
Message 1 of 24
Flag Post

Solved!

cant recover Stream 11

HP Recommended
Stream 11
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Got new Stream 11. Created system recovery media on USB stick. Test booted USB stick. Compared size of USB stick to size of recovery partition. Matched.

Deleted recovery partition on hdd. System stopped booting with error. No fix worked.

Long story short, hdd is void of any partitions. System Recovery is greyed out on USB stick.

WHY? and how do I fix this?

I dont care about secure boot or uefi. and if i have to, ill go to mbr vs gpt.

23 REPLIES 23
erico
Level 17
Level 17
47,951 42,191 4,642 12,405
Message 2 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Are you able to press the power button and then tap the F9 key to select the usb recovery flash drive as the boot drive?

If not, "If you cannot select the USB flash drive from the Boot Menu, disable Secure Boot and enable Legacy Mode in BIOS."  Press the power button and begin tappng the F10 key to enter the BIOS. In System Configuration, Boot options, click on secure boot  and disable it and then select legacy mode and enable it.  Press F10 to save the change and then tap F9 to select the usb recovery flash disk.

Stream BIOS.jpg

Once that is done your notebook should boot to the recovery manager. Select  Factory recovery and click on it to initiate the process.

How to recover your HP notebook 

If you cannot perform the steps as I have described them, nor as shown in the linked document, I recommend contacting HP directly. Use the contact form at the bottom of the following HP web document to determine the best contact options. 

https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp/product/HP-Stream-11-d000-Notebook-PC/7372144/model/7538969

I am not an HP Employee.
0 Kudos
dg1972
Author
Level 1
11 8 0 1
Message 3 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am able to access the F9 boot option and F10 into the bios. No matter of secure on/off or legacy on/off makes a difference. The system now only boots off the USB since there is nothing on the hdd. In the Recovery Manger, System recovery is greyed out.

Why would that ever be unavailable? I should be able to restore my system at any time.

0 Kudos
kyle_b
Level 10
1,591 1,581 133 312
Message 4 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, the Stream 11 has WIMBoot which uses files within the recovery partition to run Windows so if you delete the recovery partition, Windows will not boot as you have seen.  I am not sure why your recovery USB is not working however.  I have created the recovery USB, wiped the entire hard drive clean and then restored from the USB and everything was restored back to the factory configuration, including the recovery partition.  Is the drive truly wiped clean or did you just delete the recovery partition?  I'm wondering if you wiped the drive completely clean if the recovery would then work, I guess it should work no matter what.

Some possible options are: you could order recovery media from HP although it is expensive, download the OEM Windows 8.1 USB image from Microsoft although the Stream's license only covers Windows 8.1 with Bing, download the Windows 8.1 with Bing install media although it is unofficial or install Windows 10.

erico
Level 17
Level 17
Message 5 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If the recovery options are greyed out, that means there is an issue with the recovery media you created. 

What I normally do when I create the recovery media, is actually test it to ensure that it is working before making any changes on a new notebook hard disk. 

That has been my practice with each new HP product loan notebook I have recieved. I do not delete the recovery partition because I do not see the value in doing that. You deleted yours and now you are experiencing issues.

Contact HP support and explain the diffficulty you are having.  I will ask to have your issue escalated.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp/product/HP-Stream-11-d000-Notebook-PC/7372144/model/7538969

Fill out the form at the bottom of the web page.

Ordering a recovery disk set from HP

I am not an HP Employee.
0 Kudos
dg1972
Author
Level 1
11 8 0 1
Message 6 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Kyle,

Well that's kinda absurd. Who puts files necessary to run an OS in the recovery partition?! And yes, the drive is truly clean. I went into diskpart and did a "clean" after other attempts failed.

Erico,

Thank you. I will do that. If there's a way to manually launch it through a command prompt I can do that as well. The whole recovery partition seems to be replicated to the USB. I saw the .wim files and a couple of executable batch files, but no luck on my own.

The reason I deleted the recovery partition is that the hdd was only 32GB. The recovery partition was using 7 of it. I thought since I created the media, I could recover that extra 7 and expand my OS partition. Was I wrong.

I contacted support, showed them this thread, and they are sending me a recovery usb. Thanks guys. I'm happy.

0 Kudos
erico
Level 17
Level 17
Message 7 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@dg1972 wrote:

Kyle,

Well that's kinda absurd. Who puts files necessary to run an OS in the recovery partition?! And yes, the drive is truly clean. I went into diskpart and did a "clean" after other attempts failed.

Erico,

Thank you. I will do that. If there's a way to manually launch it through a command prompt I can do that as well. The whole recovery partition seems to be replicated to the USB. I saw the .wim files and a couple of executable batch files, but no luck on my own.

The reason I deleted the recovery partition is that the hdd was only 32GB. The recovery partition was using 7 of it. I thought since I created the media, I could recover that extra 7 and expand my OS partition. Was I wrong.

I contacted support, showed them this thread, and they are sending me a recovery usb. Thanks guys. I'm happy.

That is good to hear. When you get the HP recovery usb flashdrive you can go ahead and run the factory image recovery. Once you have done that, it will be safe to go ahead and delete the recovery partition. My suggestion is for you to use a 32 or 64GB usb flashdrive for extra storage space instead of removing the recovery partition. 

@dg1972

Kyle was correct. Windows does boot from the WIMBOOT partitions. Don't delete it! It is  discussed in a not so straightforward manner  at a Microsoft Blog at TechNet. See the following URL.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn594399.aspx

I am not an HP Employee.
0 Kudos
kyle_b
Level 10
1,591 1,581 133 312
Message 8 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@erico, the Stream 11 will not boot Windows if the recovery partition is removed, look up WIMBoot.

erico
Level 17
Level 17
Message 9 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@kyle_b wrote:

@erico, the Stream 11 will not boot Windows if the recovery partition is removed, look up WIMBoot.

I have not read that in any Blog I have perused which discusses WIMBOOT. 

Can you provide a link to a reputable Blog which says that is the case? 

The EFI partition is what the BIOS needs for Windows 8.1 to boot, not the recovery partition. 

He will not need WIMBOOT since he will have the customer service supplied recovery media as his recovery installation resource.

I am not an HP Employee.
0 Kudos
kyle_b
Level 10
1,591 1,581 133 312
Message 10 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

WIMBoot is well known, I am surprised you are not up to speed with it.  Windows will not boot on the Stream laptops or tablets when the recovery partition is deleted.  Windows uses files contained in there to save on disk space, otherwise the C: drive would use more than 4 GB.  It was explained by VJ_R here.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation