Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
corieanne62 Top Student
Top Student
4 0 1
Message 21 of 43
Flag Post
HP Recommended

cd/dvd not showing up in device manager anymore

OH. MY. GOD.  Thank you so much!  Finally!  A solution that works.  I can't thank you enough.  I'm not the most computer savvy person on the planet.  Any time something goes wrong with my computers it's more luck than anything else if I am able to fix the problem.  I've spent the better part of the day today trying to figure out what was wrong and how to fix it.  I can't believe it.  It took less than 5 minutes.  I just checked my Device Manager and there it is - my E: drive!  I love you, whoever you are!  I was practically in tears 10 minutes ago.  Now I'm smiling ear to ear!  YOU ROCK!

0 Kudos
inguys2001 Top Student
Top Student
8 0 0
Message 22 of 43
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am having the same prioblem with my dv9628nr, the drive would show up every now and then so I replaced the drive and now nothing. the rest of the pc is fine just my dvd rom is not.

0 Kudos
banditotimoteo Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 23 of 43
Flag Post
HP Recommended

i'm also having the same problem on my dv9815nr. i burned a disc just last week and now my computer doesn't recognize the cd drive. i've tried re-installing the bios and installing the magiciso. it still isn't working.....

0 Kudos
FixedIt Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 24 of 43
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you SO MUCH for helping me to fix my computer.  First I downloaded the MagicISO and nothing happened, but then I tried the Magic Disc (which added a driver), and like MAGIC my CD/DVD Drive was visible in the Device Manager and in My Computer.  I wasted some money this week ordering a new drive which did NOT solve the problem, but your advice DID.  Now I still have a backup drive in case the original does die, but I should have checked here first!  You are a GENIUS!  Thanks so much!!! :)

0 Kudos
casharoo Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 25 of 43
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Holy Cow!!!!!

This "fix" worked.......I have tried everything, over & over, for months, on and off.  My CD/DVD drive could not be found anywhere.   I have spent countless, frustrating hours trying to figure this out.  THANK YOU.

Keeping fingers crossed, this lasts.

Thank you again.....you made my day!

0 Kudos
ssmithmich Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 26 of 43
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I had been searching for DAYS for a clue to what was going on with my 'disappearing' DVD drive. It just disappeared one day and then would randomly show up for different amounts of time. Then it would be gone again. I had checked all the hardware, but all seemed good there (I was starting to worry about possible motherboard issues like mentioned above also). I checked with HP support (useless!). I searched the internet and most I could find was that I needed a driver, but no way of getting the right one.  Finally ran across your post and gave it a shot. IT WORKS!!! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! 

0 Kudos
impac Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 27 of 43
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am having the same trouble. Have jumped through every registry hoop Google & HP sites have said would fix the problem, even reseating. I am using  Notebook dv2945se and have had no success. The closest I came was when I used MagicISO suggested on this post. It mounted a virtual DVD on drive & Device Manager now at least recognized that, where, prior, no DVD/CD-ROM appeared. Still nothing works. A DVD goes in acts like everything is fine but does nothing beyond.

0 Kudos
almightee Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 28 of 43
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I actually registered just to thank leonacain for helping with this pressing issue! I figured it was some sort of driver issue because I had a computer issue and had to revert my computer to out of the box specs and the drive worked. As soon as I started the windows updates, namely service pack 1, it stopped. i will make sure to keep checking this fourm to see if I can repay the favor to someome who has an issue I can assist with.

0 Kudos
almightee Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 29 of 43
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I spoke to soon...the CD drive is now showing up, but is not readsy any cds or dvds...

0 Kudos
Joiner2008 Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 30 of 43
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I installed and eventually uninstalled MagicDisc and it removed my DVD drive from both computer and device manager. Reinstalling it did bring it back in computer but it won't read anything.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation