Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
johnk3678 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 31 of 43
Flag Post
HP Recommended

cd/dvd not showing up in device manager anymore

This has been happening to me for about a month now and I tried every fix under the sun except for the magic disk virtual image mentioned above. This seems like a very common and wide spread problem with HP note books from what I've been reading and HP is doing nothing about it - sounds like maybe a class action law suit might be needed to make HP address this problem - how does one going about getting the ball rolling on that?  

a frustrated HP user.

0 Kudos
johnk3678 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 32 of 43
Flag Post
HP Recommended

bump

0 Kudos
carrie1456 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 33 of 43
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am having the same problem I read all of the posts which one works?

thanks in advance

Carrie

0 Kudos
barumbado Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 34 of 43
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You are amazing, thank you for sharing what you know, that saves all of us money..thank you so much for your idea about magiciso..thanks

0 Kudos
GoDaisy Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 35 of 43
Flag Post
HP Recommended

First the CD/DVD drive disappears, now the sound comes and goes. This laptop is a [text removed]! We have never owned anything but HP and this will be the LAST time we own any HP products.

0 Kudos
carrie1456 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 36 of 43
Flag Post
HP Recommended

did it work, if so can you give me instructions and what you use.

Carrie

0 Kudos
Mythrondir Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 37 of 43
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Excellent solution, thank you!  Installing MagicDisc and MagicISO did the trick and I've got my disc drive back!  Best of all, this is a freeware download so the fix cost nothing.  Appreciate you sharing.

0 Kudos
cheeni13 Top Student
Top Student
5 0 1
Message 38 of 43
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same problem.dvd/cd drive is missing from device manager.none of the trouble shooting help from hp helped.don't know what to do.can anybody throw some light on this problem.please.it's frustrating.one moment it was all there all hale & hearty & in one moment it was all gone!

0 Kudos
schadeck Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 39 of 43
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It looks like this MagicISO solution does work just fine.  I think the problem is that there has not been a full explanation on the process:

1. Don't worry about downloading MagicISO, you just need to download the freeware MagicISO Virtual CD/DVD-Rom.
  2. Next install MagicISO Virtual CD/DVD-Rom.
  3. You will notice that in Explorer there is a new DVD Drive.  This is NOT your physical CD/DVD drive, but instead it is a virtual drive. 
  4. Next go to your Device Manager, then find CD/DVD drives (this was missing for me before this fix) .
  5. Right click on CD/DVD drive and select "Scan for hardware changes"
  6. This will take a moment, and your physical CD/DVD drive will show up in the CD/DVD drives list... Problem solved.

Off the top of my head, I assume that and updated from iTunes the culprit here.  It must have overwritten the HP CD/DVD drivers improperly, thus not allowing the computer to see the hardware.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
tripletmom3girl Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 40 of 43
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Downloaded the MagicISO Virtual CD/DVD and it does show up in my device manager, however, the actual DVD burner is still not show up  Any other suggestions other than shopping for a new laptop?

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation