Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
wingman1800 Top Student
Top Student
7 4 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

charging via usb c using non HP charger

HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have the latest Bios installed but laptop will not chage via usb c using anything but HP charger. Is the a setting in Bios or something I can do to use one of my other type c chargers?

thanks

tom

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Provost Provost
Provost
15446 15391 1437 3419
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

wingman1800

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

The problem is, if you use a non-HP charger and that damages the PC in any way, you have blown the warranty -- and the total cost of repairs will fall on you.

You really want this to happen?

If you remember the problems with the Samsung Note7 exploding, ALL the instances of that happening (at least in the beginning) were due to non-Samsung chargers.

The problem with USB-C is that it can deliver a LOT of power to the device, which is SUPPOSED to be regulated so the device does not overheat, but chargers that don't adhere properly to the USB-C standard can easily overheat your device.

So, you're risking destroying your device in order to save a little money.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
wingman1800 Top Student
Top Student
7 4 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Problem is the replacement charger from HP has been on back ordef over two months and ship date is at least another month away. Other laptops with usb c do not seem to have this problem because the laptop does the regulating of power .

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
15446 15391 1437 3419
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yeah, I understand.

It's just that, if the laptop does the regulating for HP chargers, then using a non-HP charger is probably OK.

But if HP expects the charger to do the regulating, then you're risking overheating.

The other thing I read about the Samsung Note7 problem is that folks were using third-party USB-to-USB-C converters top use their old cell phone chargers on the Note7, and in some cases, the adapters got so hot they melted!

That's an issue with relatively new technology -- companies trying to make a fast buck on new products by skipping corners to keep the costs down with no care about the damage done to the consumers' products.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
RobinBaker Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have a new HP Envy x360 laptop and recently purchased the Targus USB-C charger from HP and I haven't been able to get it to work. HP Sales told me it was compatible but now I am not so sure. I called 4 different HP Support/Sales phone numbers today, as well as using Support Chat, but was unable to resolve the issue. On Monday I will call again and try once more. I was told I may have a defective charger, but that doesn't seem likely to me.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation