cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
cgf355
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

compaq cq60 disable touchpad win7

Hi,

I have Win 7 Home Premium installed on my Compaq Presario CQ60-419WM Notebook.

When I am typing the cursor jumps around. I would like to be able to turn off or disable the touchpad. I have not been able to find any means to do this. The touchpad is not listed on my notebook when I do a search, and its not shown under any hardware devices. PS/2 compliant mouse is shown -and I have a mouse plugged in to a USB port.

What do I do next?

LeeD

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Level 6 Siby_M
Level 6
415 414 19 105
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

May I know since how many days have you been facing this issue? If it has been only a limited time we can go ahead and perform a Microsoft System Restore that will take your Computer back to a date before the issue occurred. 

Please select the document according to the Operating System on your Notebook.

Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 7): http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01835735

Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 8): http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03327545

I hope that helps.

!------------------- Please click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'. Please mark 'Accept as Solution' if it answers/solves your problem. Thank you-----------------------------------------------------------------!

I am an HP Employee.

Level 6 Siby_M
Level 6
415 414 19 105
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Have you ever tried using the touchpad with the external Mouse disconnected?

I am waiting to hear back from you.

!------------------- Please click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'. Please mark 'Accept as Solution' if it answers/solves your problem. Thank you-----------------------------------------------------------------!

I am an HP Employee. 

Level 6 Siby_M
Level 6
415 414 19 105
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can you also please give me the Product Number or the Model Number of your Notebook so that I can try finding more information about this issue?  Please do not provide the Serial Number publicly here as it is personal information. 

I am waiting to hear back from you.

I am an HP Employee. 

cgf355
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

System Restore wont do any good. The ability to disable the trackpad was never there. I have HP Notebook Model# CQ60-419WM, with Windows 7 Home Premium installed. I have just done a re-install of my operating system. There are only restore points for the last 6 days. The problem is that I cannot disable the trackpad. Under "Properties" there is a box that says "Disable" - but that box is grayed out -clicking on it does no good.

0 Kudos
cgf355
4 3 0 0
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No. I do not like using the trackpad without the mouse. It just seems to me that the mouse is easier to use.
0 Kudos
cgf355
4 3 0 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have HP Notebook Model# CQ60-419WM, with Windows 7 Home Premium installed. I have just done a re-install of my operating system. There are only restore points for the last 6 days. The problem is that I cannot disable the trackpad. Under "Properties" there is a box that says "Disable" - but that box is grayed out -clicking on it does no good.
0 Kudos
Level 6 Siby_M
Level 6
415 414 19 105
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for all the information. Yes, I completely understand. Situations like these can be demanding. Please do not worry, let me see what best I can do to help you with this issue.

I see that your Notebook came pre-installed with Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic (32-bit). May I know whether you were facing this issue with the original Operating System (OS) or only after changing to Windows 7. Can you also specify the bit version (32 bit or 64 bit) of Windows 7 running on your Notebook now?

Please try installing the Touchpad Driver based on the right OS version.  

Important: Before you install the Touchpad Driver please go ahead and uninstall the previous driver. For uninstalling the previous driver, please click on Start, type in "Device Manager" and click on the option that says Device Manager. Once you are there, please expand the option that says "Mice and other pointing devices". Under that you will get an option for the Touchpad driver. Right click on that and select "Uninstall". Please select the option to delete the current driver when you are prompted to do that. If you are prompted to restart the Notebook, please restart and then install the new driver.

Windows 7 32 bit: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-75458-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...

Windows 7 64 bit: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-75458-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...

Please support me by clicking on the Kudos star if you like my post and “Accept as Solution” if my advice answered or helped your situation. These are the best ways in which you can thank me.

I am an HP Employee. 

Level 6 Siby_M
Level 6
415 414 19 105
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

May I know whether you are still running the Operating System that originally came with this Notebook?

Can you please check Page No: 1 of the following document: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01540939.pdf

Double tapping the top-left corner of your touchpad should help you to turn it ON and OFF. White color is for ON and amber for OFF.

Please support me by clicking on the Kudos star if you like my post and “Accept as Solution” if my advice answered or helped your situation. These are the best ways in which you can thank me.

I am an HP Employee. 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation