Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Top Student
Message 1 of 13 (457 Views)

create recovery media without recovery manager

[ Edited ]
Product Name: HP Pavilion Notebook - 15-ab0
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop came with Windows 8.1 64bit operating and there is a recovery partition to factory reset. It was protected by the HP recovery manager. After i update to Windows 10, reset my PC (not factory reset) with the option keep my files , so now i have a Windows 10 and i can see  in recovery partition one recovery folder and inside it one file of name "lang" in the Recovery partition rest of the files and i can't see and there isn't any virus in my laptop its just of changing settings i took the step of reset windows 10. i believe my recovery partition is save but due to un availability of recovery manager it is not protected. 

now i want to factory reset and by going to advance startup option i saw recovery manager ther but when i clicked to recovery manager it says can't open file "x/recovery/hp/rita-tool" . thats why i cannot proceed for factoey reset.

please guide me how can i get back recovery manager or how can i make recovery media ?

please help !!

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 13 (429 Views)

Re: create recovery media without recovery manager

You cannot. This is a known issue. Upgrade to Windows 10 will spoil the recovery partition and make it useless. Obviously you are more than 30 days past upgrade to Windows 10 so you cannot roll back. Best you can do is order a physical recovery disk or thumb drive from HP. They should still have it in stock.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07143

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

Top Student
Message 3 of 13 (422 Views)

Provost
Message 4 of 13 (420 Views)

Worth a try but I believe the recovery system works a bit differently than it did in the Vista days. 

Top Student
Message 5 of 13 (413 Views)

recovery manager folder of C drive which i lost after reseting it can i copy  from other pc in which it is installed.?

Provost
Message 6 of 13 (399 Views)

Sure you can but the files inside have been changed and corrupted so they no longer work right. 

Top Student
Message 7 of 13 (383 Views)

i copied recovery manager folder and recovery folder of c drive in my friend's laptop then i executed all configuration or cmd files which are inside the folder, then i execute recovery manager it starts !! and i just made recovery media it runs all 3 steps i.e Prepare , copy image file and varify disk all three steps are done without a single error !!
now should i recover it from this flash drive ??
if there will any error so that would i also lost my current state of windows ?? 

Provost
Message 8 of 13 (373 Views)

[ Edited ]

Somehow you beat the odds and it works. I would say you can use that media to recover your laptop. If it were mine I might try it on a different hard drive first just to be sure, but I think that is being very cautious. If the recovery program verified the recovery image you should be fine. 

The recovery will completely wipe the hard drive so you will lose anything on there now. 

Top Student
Message 9 of 13 (355 Views)

can i use that in other laptop to check ?

Provost
Message 10 of 13 (352 Views)

Not unless it is the same model. The recovery media will only work in the hardware it was intended for. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation