Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Elitebook 8760w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I receive critical and advisory email notifications for my laptop but when I run the HP (rev 😎 support assistant it neither finds the messages nor the updates.

My support assistant configuration is to download and inform me of updates but let me decide when to install, hence it is not a matter of updates being installed without me knowing.

So not sure if these emails are a scum to gain access to my Laptop or support assistant is malfunctioning.

Any thoughts please?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@georgioua

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you 🙂 

As I understand there are critical update notifications via email yet HP support assistant states Laptop is up to date,

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution: 

Did you know that certain firmware updates cannot be installed using HP support assistance and would be notified via email?

That said, here are a few rules of thumb when it comes to emailed update notifications:

• If it's for software you don't have, it's bogus.

• If it's a firmware mentioned in the email, go to the manufacturer's site: Click here to access & confirm the availability.

• If it's an attachment, it's bogus. Vendors learned long ago that attachments simply don't work because so many viruses used them.

• If it's for Microsoft, Hotmail, MSN or any other Microsoft-related property, it's almost certainly bogus. Windows Update and Microsoft Update handle what's on your machine, and web sites like Hotmail don't have updates that you would install.

• If the email is coming from a personal GMAIL, HOTMAIL, YAHOOMAIL, etc....it's bogus.

I hope that helps you stay vigilant, safe & updated 😉

Let me know how that works out, keep me in the loop and Good luck!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Many thanks for the useful tips Riddle_Decipher,

Unfortunately not possible to check on HP support as once you select Device, then operating system as windows, the next dropdown only shows windows 8.1 as the operating system version, typical of HP websites.

Windows 10 has been around for a long time now and other operating systems are open to virus attacks and not as secured as the latest fully updated operating systems.

SO unable to confirm if these updates are suitable, will work or crash the Laptop as HP does not seem to test very expensive top of the range mobile workstations against the latest operating systems.

HP support assistant seems to have stoped finding anything after the two year warranty period expired,

Relying on mannually checking for driver updates e.g. on Nvidia website and Installing those manually as the HP support assistant fails to find those either.

Same with BIOS, listed in the latest email, big question is:- will the new BIOS work with windows 10?

I do hope that HP add support information relating to these very expensive products running windows 10 and to stop encouraging users to stay with windows XP, 7 and 8.1, in light of such serious vulnerabilities such as Wannacry, Wannadecrypt etc.

Any workaround of finding approved updates on the HP websites for the 8760w Elitbook running windows 10 64bit?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.