Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question
cursor jumps around when typing
Replies (66)

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Student
Message 31 of 67 (15,656 Views)

Re: cursor jumps around when typing

I know you posted this a long time ago but if you haven't received a good answer, here's my take.  I started having the problem when I clean installed Windows 7 on my HP.  All of a sudden, whenever I was typing in Word or an e-mail, the curser would jump to wherever I last positioned the pointer.  Seems my palms just hovering over the touchpad would cause the problem.  Here's the fix:

http://www.synaptics.com/support/drivers

They make the driver for HP.  Unfortunately, they never seemed to contract a new driver for Windows 7 on older laptops (mine is probably 4 or 5 years old).  but the direct download from Synaptics solved the issue on my HP and on my Sony Vaio!  Hope it works for you.

Honor Student
Message 32 of 67 (15,483 Views)

i am havening similar problems, its bad, can't type anything, i am getting very upset, other than that i like the computer, but  this is a big problem, DV4 computer laptop, hp.

vdallari

Honor Student
Message 33 of 67 (15,386 Views)

[ Edited ]

I Can't believe a company with the reputation and resources as vast as HP could let a problem....A MAJOR PRODUCTIVITY PROBLEM...not be addressed, much less resolved

Student
Message 34 of 67 (15,250 Views)

Re: Found a fix (or a workaround?)

Thanks!!!  This solution worked for me also!!

Honor Student
Message 35 of 67 (15,209 Views)

Which fix worked for you? This is the second HP computer I have had with the cursor jumping problem.  Shame on me for buying a second HP, but I can't afford to replace this laptop right now.

Student
Message 36 of 67 (15,132 Views)

this worked me for as well.  thank you so much.  was the most frustrating problem since i purchased the computer.  I type 70 wpm and it made it so it was more like 20 by the time i had to fix mistakes from the jumping cursor.

Student
Message 37 of 67 (15,019 Views)

It really anoys me that u need to respond with a negative tone about the other person's reaction to Hp.  Who cares if he swares off Hp.  Besides that, your answer is unclear in answering his specific issue--as it is a bit crytic with the "thou shalt not...", while feeling completely clever with yourself.    Just answer the question brother!  Stop being impressed by your own reaction or knowledge.

Honor Student
Message 38 of 67 (15,001 Views)

I have a brand new HP 8560p. About every second start, the cursor moves uncontrollably from the slightest touch of the touchpad, and is barely useable from the stick. A restart usually fixes it, so it must be a software issue. It can take several minutes to position the cursor for a controlled restart.

It isn't a sensitivity issue, or it would happen every time. The inconsistency is worrying.

I have had excellent support from HP with my previous laptop, so I'm looking forward to getting it fixed. 

Honor Student
Message 39 of 67 (14,635 Views)

1.  My cursor jumps around when I am typing on my HP Pavillion DM4-2015 DX Entertainment laptop.

I use a wireless Logitech mouse with a USB plug in, and my cursor jumps around when I type.  

How do I solve this problem?   

When I had a Dell machine I was able to disable the trackpad when using a mouse...and this solved the problem.  How do I do this with my HP?   

PS I have a Windows 7 operating system. 

Robert and Patricia Bunge

Student
Message 40 of 67 (13,616 Views)

I am using my husband's Toshiba that has the same problem. Just done as you stated and disabled trackpad when using mouse and seems to have worked. I have a HP and have never had an issue like this. But his Toshiba has had this issue for some time and is frustrating.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation