cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    HP Solution Center Adobe Flash player error

Please check this document to find the workaround solution for Print and Scan - HP Solution Center doesn't open

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    HP Solution Center Adobe Flash player error

Please check this document to find the workaround solution for Print and Scan - HP Solution Center doesn't open

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
5 3 0 0
Message 1 of 13
Flag Post

different usb c charger for thinnest usb c

HP Recommended
Hp Spectre
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

there have been new universal chargers out in the market but they are focused on old pcs and not new. i just got the new spectre and it charges with a usb c. the worst part about this computer is the carger it comes with. it makes the mobility of the machine much worse. 

are there any other usb-c chargers out there that work with this laptop? any at all?

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
Level 17
Level 17
43,932 43,718 7,011 12,355
Message 2 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes I have the same laptop and I also set aside the factory charger since it is HUGE with a giant thick cable on it and bought this:

https://www.amazon.com/HP-45W-Smart-Power-Adapter/dp/B017AAHKKU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475267427&sr...

Still bigger than I would like, but much smaller than the OEM unit and it does charge the battery a bit slower but otherwise I have been using it since July with no issues at all. This is the one I carry in my briefcase with the laptop and the original is in my office at home gathering dust. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

0 Kudos
Level 2
14 14 0 6
Message 3 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The issue isn't with the other chargers on the market, it's with HP choosing to not implement the USB-C standard.  See this PCWorld article for the whole story.  HP could change this policy if they wanted to.

0 Kudos
Level 17
Level 17
Message 4 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, they could. A new BIOS update on the Spectre has gotten us partway there, enabling 3rd party chargers. 

0 Kudos
Level 2
14 14 0 6
Message 5 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Well, not really. It only allows charging via 3rd party when the system is powered down, and even then only for a limited subset of them. That's completely unacceptable because it makes any USB-C docking station or other solution that should be able to provide power worthless when the system is actually in use.
0 Kudos
Level 17
Level 17
Message 6 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No doubt

0 Kudos
Level 1
4 4 0 2
Message 7 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Huffer wrote:

Yes, they could. A new BIOS update on the Spectre has gotten us partway there, enabling 3rd party chargers. 

Which Spectre and which 3rd party chargers? What about external battery packs?

0 Kudos
Level 2
14 14 0 6
Message 8 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That's what I'm saying.  It's every Spectre.  And every 3rd party charger or battery pack.  Nothing you plug into any Spectre is going to charge it while it's running except for the stupid HP charger that ships with it.  

0 Kudos
Level 17
Level 17
Message 9 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

And I know that is not completely true. I use an alternate, smaller HP 45w usb-C charger with mine and it definitely charges while running Windows. But that was true before the latest BIOS update. I have not tried any 3rd party USB-C solutions. I guess I could try plugging in the charger for my cell phone and see what happens. 

https://www.amazon.com/HP-45W-Smart-Power-Adapter/dp/B017AAHKKU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477938331&sr...

0 Kudos
Level 2
14 14 0 6
Message 10 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation