Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

hello,

first i like to say hy to all you, this is my first post here. I have a brand new hp compaq presario CQ58-351SM. This notebook is ready to install Windows 8. I like to instal Windows 7, but i have a problem with that......my question is how to disable uefi boot in bios or there is some other way to do it?

Thank you, Regards, Mare

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Please see Secure Boot (Windows 😎 and About UEFI and the Startup Menu for guides that may assist you with entering the BIOS and disabling Secure Boot.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the white KUDOS star to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended

hey,

thank you for youre answer, but i still didnt solve my problem, because my bios id different. I hav a version of bios f 26.

I have a secure boot disable, legacy support enable, but still has uefi boot higher priority than legacy boot. That means that uefi boot is still turned on. What can i do, that uefi boot doesnt have a higher priority than legacy boot?

Thank you, mare

HP Recommended

You cannot disable UEFI and yes, UEFI boot devices have a higher priority than Legacy devices.  

*****Disclaimer*****

HP doesn't recommend the installation of Windows 7 on a computer shipped with Windows 8, nor will it support the installation of Windows 7. HP will not provide Windows 7 drivers and suitable drivers may not be available for the hardware in the computer. Also, Windows 7 may not support some of the hardware or software features designed for the computer.

Make sure you create your HP Recovery Discs or USB Flash Recovery media before modifying or changing ANYTHING.

As the hard drive comes from the factory partitioned as GPT, you must boot the computer using the "UEFI" boot option in the "F9" boot menu, as shown below. If you use a "Legacy" boot source, you may be unable to install Windows;

Image of the Boot Manager

or

Image of the boot device screen

I suggest using Windows 7 SP1 for the best installation experience. If you need Windows SP1, please see "How to Install Windows 7 Without the Disc" to download and create your own. If the DVD refuses to boot as UEFI, you may need to use a USB Flash drive (may require DISABLING "Fast Boot" in the BIOS) as the installation media. Please download the Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool to create a Windows 7 SP1 USB Flash drive. The USB Flash may not be recognized as a valid UEFI boot source by some computers, if it is formated as NTFS and may require some modifications to work correctly.

I have installed Windows 7 on dozens of computers that came with Windows 8, Secure Boot, and UEFI. On a Windows 8 HP g6-2210us, the Windows 7 disc booted "Legacy" the first time and wouldn't install to the GPT disk... Next go around, I got it to boot "UEFI" and all went smooth.Bigger problem was getting a Windows 7 HP 320-1120m to load Windows 7 from a UEFI boot source. The darn thing is UEFI but the factory installed Windows on a MBR disk under "Legacy". I dropped a 3TB hard drive in and to boot from it, the system must by UEFI and the disk must be GPT. Neither a Windows 7 SP1 Refresh disc nor a Windows 7 SP1 Refresh USB Flash drive would be recognized as UEFI, just Legacy only. I had to use a utility to create a special FAT32 USB Flash drive with Windows 7 and a specialized UEFI boot file.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the white KUDOS star to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.