cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
BevP
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Solved!

do i leave the laptop battery connected to ac all the time?

HP Recommended

Can I leave the battery plugged in all lthe time?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Huffer
Level 17
Level 17
45,021 44,797 7,236 12,830
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes but you will reduce its life a little if you usually just leave the laptop parked at home. For maximum life of the battery (not run time, but the time until you need a new battery) you can remove the battery and store it if you will not be using it for a week or more. Run it down to 40-60% and store it in a cool dark dry place.

Every time you turn the laptop off and back on the battery drains just a little and then it charges back up when you turn it back on. The smart chip counts that as a cycle and you only get so many cycles.

0 Kudos
pasko
Level 2
14 7 0 1
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You should not. Disconnect the moment you shut your laptop down. The power converter works all the time when connected to AC power; by keeping it connected you will shorten its life.

Huffer
Level 17
Level 17
45,021 44,797 7,236 12,830
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If you leave the AC adapter plugged in with the laptop off it will draw a very small trickle charge through the adapter, not enough to cause any harm. Electricity requires a  complete circuit and if the laptop is not drawing much power, the adapter is not working hard. By this logic we would unplug a desktop computer, even when the computer is off, so the internal power supply would last longer. Not necessary and nobody does it.

sistronico
2 2 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

February 2014.

Since some years Ago I leave my HP laptops (and Mac) all the time connected for weeks in my Office and at home and I have not issues with the battery or the laptop. The battery life is normal no less no more...

Para mis amigos en español.

Dejar la laptop conectada todo el tiempo a la electricidad, Yo dejo mis laptops (HP y MAc) conectadas todo el tiempo y no he tenido ningùn problema, no se reduce el tiempo de vida de la baterìa ni tiene ningùn problema la computadora

regards / saludos

@sistronico

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation