cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Bill468 Top Student
Top Student
8 5 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

dual boot windows 10 and linux

HP 1000 Notebook PC - 1b09au
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to install linux (any version of it) on my already-win10-installed laptop. But I'm afraid later the driver won't work (e.g. the trackpad won't work, or maybe the keyboard) once I dualboot my laptop with linux.
Is it safe to dualboot my laptop with linux? If so, would you please send me a website link with the best walkthrough to make those above happen? Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Provost Provost
Provost
10,952 10,250 1,028 2,990
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Bill468

The HP forum does not support other products / software.

But Linux and all the various varieties have a wide community that offers support.

You would do best to ask them for help with dual booting.

With that said, if you want to test a certain flavor of Linux on your hardware, one way to do so is to create a bootable USB stick with that OS.

Here is an example of doing this for Ubuntu...

How to create a bootable USB stick on Windows | Ubuntu

To be able to make the HP laptop boot from the USB stick, you need to make some changes in the bios.

Rapidly tap the F10 key when powering on.

Arrow over to System Configuration.

Look for Secure boot and disable it.

If Legacy is offered, enable it.

Save and Exit.

The system will ask you to enter a code prior to restart.

Enter the code shown. It will not show as you type the numbers and this is normal.

Restart the PC again and rapidly tap the F9 key to bring up the boot options list.

Now you can select your Linux USB drive and boot it.

You can try various versions of Linux this way until you find what you like.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

0 Kudos
Bill468 Top Student
Top Student
8 5 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've found that my PC problem was the hard drive was identified as MBR, but somehow it acted as GPT drive. So what needed to do was changing the drive from GPT to MBR in order to install both OS on Legacy mode. Now, my PC has successfully got both OS.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation