cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 1
9 7 0 0
Message 1 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

dv6-2066dx system board replaced

I replaced the system board on a HP Pavilion Entertainment PC dv6-2066dx notebook (VW881UA). The system board part number is 571186-001. The computer is working great with a new system board, but everytime I power-on the message displays the bios contain an invalid model and serial number. How can I update the model and serial numbers in bios? If I am not able to update these numbers in the bios, is there a way to disable this message when the computer powers on?

I checked the software downloads for this computer on HP's support website and they offer bios version F.13 as a download. However, the replacement system board I received from HP came with bios version F.14.

This is the error message -

"Product Information not valid

The following product information programmed into the system board is missing or invalid.

System Board (00A) - Product Name

Product Configuration

Product Serial Number

Product Number

ENTER - Continue Startup

For more information, please visit: www.hp.com/go/techcenter/startup

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Level 12
4,523 4,426 238 1,228
Message 2 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You need to contact HP directly and have them fix this, some one forgot to enter the information.

The tool to repair this is only available to authorized HP repair centers.

If HP gives you trouble or wants to charge to fix this, post again and I can help, but only if you're in the US or Canada.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
9 7 0 0
Message 3 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I called HP Support at 800-HP-INVENT. They do not seem to have a clue. They told me to download bios F.13 and apply it. I am doing that now, but doubt it will fix my problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
9 7 0 0
Message 4 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The bios softpaq completed and it is now version F.13, but the invalid model / serial number message still shows up when you power on.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
4,523 4,426 238 1,228
Message 5 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@moses388 wrote:

I called HP Support at 800-HP-INVENT. They do not seem to have a clue. They told me to download bios F.13 and apply it. I am doing that now, but doubt it will fix my problem.

Most of them wouldn't, they're reading from a script. For now though, I need to know what country you're in so I can help you.
 I don't work for HP myself, but I can get their attention with this, but I need to know what country you're in.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
9 7 0 0
Message 6 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am in the United States.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
9 7 0 0
Message 7 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I called HP support again on my case#[Personal Information Removed].   HP states for $179.99 they will send me a box to return my computer to HP and have the serial / product numbers reprogrammed.   I told HP I am not shipping my computer anywhere and I requested the name and location of an HP authorized service provider.   HP suppport refused to provide any names of authorized service providers in my area.   Well, I hope somebody else can help me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9
3,551 3,395 279 525
Message 8 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello moses388,

I am going to forward this thread to the appropriate team for review. Someone should be in contact with you shortly in regards to your issue.

Contact will be made through the forums private message feature. You can check your private messages by clicking on the small envelope icon next to your name in the upper right hand corner once you have logged in.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have helped you in any way click the Kudos button to say Thanks.
The community works together, click Accept as Solution on the post that solves your issue for other members of the community to benefit from the solution.
- Friendship is magical.
0 Kudos
Level 1
9 7 0 0
Message 9 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thursday, Feb 14th, I received a request from the HP Executive line for my personal information.   I replied with the information they requested.

Friday, Feb 15th, someone called from the HP Case Manager line, but I was not available. I called back that night and the individual assigned to my case was gone for the day.  I hung up and called the Specialty Support line and again I was told the only way to fix the serial number error is to ship the notebook to HP for depot.

I will return the case manager's phone call on Tuesday, but it don't sound like it will be helpful.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9
3,551 3,395 279 525
Message 10 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well let's not give up complete hope just yet. Keep us updated on how your call goes on Tuesday.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have helped you in any way click the Kudos button to say Thanks.
The community works together, click Accept as Solution on the post that solves your issue for other members of the community to benefit from the solution.
- Friendship is magical.
0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation