cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Treehorn Top Student
Top Student
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

dv6 lid hinge sensor not working

Hi, I have a Pavilion dv6 that's around 2 years old.  No problems until recently when my screen started going blank (like it does when the lid is closed) unless I close the display lid to around a 45 degree angle.  Once I do that the screen lights up and I can move the lid back to a regular viewing angle for times varying from 10 sec to 1 min before it goes dark again.  It started as a one off thing and has progressively gotten worse.  The computer still works when the screen goes blank.  All my power managment / display settings are set to never turn the screen off.  I've read about problems people have had with the left hinge breaking.  Mine has not cracked.  Sometimes when I'm moving the lid the display will glitch and skew the image or distort the colors, but only when I put pressure on it in the right spot in the right way.  Any advice?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
3429 3369 129 674
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Treehorn,

When using the laptop the screen will sometimes go black, is that correct? I will try to help you with this issue.

Perhaps the panel screen cable may be loose. Can you please provide the full model number for the DV6 that you have, if you aren’t sure where to locate that information have a look at this document.

Please respond back at your earliest convenience.

Thanks

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
0 Kudos
Treehorn Top Student
Top Student
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "full model number", but I suppose the product number will work?  QJ918AV#ABA

I'm fairly certain it's a hardware issue, not software.  Some kind of connection or sensor is loose or semi-broken.  It has something to do with the hinge for the screen/lid, just not sure what exactly. 

Thank you for responding!

0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
3429 3369 129 674
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Treenhorn,

Thank you for that information.

I tend to agree with you regarding the hardware issue. What you can do if you feel comfortable is to break the computer down and check the panel cable to see if loose or has any breaks in the line. Now if the computer is still covered by warranty I would recommend you let the warranty take care of the issue, instead of accidently voiding the warranty.

If you decide to break the computer down here is the service manual, and the instructions are on page 93.

Thanks

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
0 Kudos
Treehorn Top Student
Top Student
5 4 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the advice.  My laptop is no longer under warranty, so I took a stab at fixing it myself.  The instructions you provided were good, I was able to take it apart and check the cables.  Nothing seemed wrong.  After putting it back together, I still have problems.  At startup it seemed to work ok, but within a minute the screen when blank again.  After that, I have only been able to get the screen to work when the lid is open 45 degrees or less.  Before my fixing attempt, I would have to move it to that position to get it to work but then I could move it to a normal viewing angle and it would work for a minute or less before needing to be "reset" at the 45 degree position.  The only improvement my attempted fixing made was to stop the screen from getting distorted if I put pressure on it the wrong way when moving the lid.

Do you have any other ideas?  Is it possible it has something to do with the magnet sensor in the lid?  Why would the angle of the screen matter?  I was under the impresion there was nothing special in the hinge itself...

0 Kudos
Treehorn Top Student
Top Student
5 4 0 0
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ok, I did some more experimenting and it's definitely a cable issue.  If I need to reorder one, is there a way  you'd recommend?

0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
3429 3369 129 674
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Treehorn,

Your computer has the possibility of having 3 different types of cables. Below is a screenshot from the service manual, which description does your computer match?

panel cable.PNG

Thanks

0 Kudos
Treehorn Top Student
Top Student
5 4 0 0
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ok, I got a new cable and installed it.  Now my screen is working again.  Thanks for all your help!

0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
3429 3369 129 674
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Treehorn,

Good deal thank you for confirming your issue resolved.

Have a great day.  

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation