cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
muzicman82
Level 2
18 5 0 0
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post

dv6000 - "This PC is not supported by the System Recovery Discs"

HP Recommended

Hello folks,

I have recently bought an HP dv6324us laptop, which needed a new motherboard. I ordered and replaced it with the exact same part number.

Now, it boots and works perfectly fine. I went and made the System Recovery DVDs, and when I boot to Disc 1, I get the error: "This PC is not supported by the System Recovery Discs".

Any ideas what this means? I made the Recovery DVD right off of the hard drive.

Grrr!

Let me know what to do.

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Adamtech
Level 8
1,230 1,227 80 219
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended
This means that the new motherboard is not tattooed for your system. You would most likely need to take the unit to a local HP Authorized Service Provider to have the motherboard tattooed.

*Remember to mark your questions solved and click the "Kudos" star to show your thanks!

Sahil_jain
3 3 0 0
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Thanks Adamtech.
I had taken my laptop to  local HP Authorised Service Centre and they could not figure it out, themselves. I really doubt if they would be knowing the term getting motherboard 'Tattooed'. Any other term its known by? And is How long does this process take?
Thanks a Bunch,

@Adamtech wrote:
This means that the new motherboard is not tattooed for your system. You would most likely need to take the unit to a local HP Authorized Service Provider to have the motherboard tattooed.
0 Kudos
Rakhmad
Level 9
2,817 2,815 115 662
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You need to change the serial number and product name match to the casing sticker.

______

Pavilion DV2922TX, XP-SP3 32bit, Intel T5750 2.0Ghz, Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS with 128MB, 4GB 667 DDR2, 250GB HDD
0 Kudos
Sahil_jain
3 3 0 0
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks Rakhmad!

This has to be done using the Utility meant for this or can be done without it too, in BIOS?

Sorry, if thats a silly question. 

0 Kudos
Rakhmad
Level 9
2,817 2,815 115 662
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It has to be done using HP tools. A small program that run in DOS environment to write that info to EPROM/BIOS.

______

Pavilion DV2922TX, XP-SP3 32bit, Intel T5750 2.0Ghz, Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS with 128MB, 4GB 667 DDR2, 250GB HDD
0 Kudos
Sahil_jain
3 3 0 0
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks a tonne Rakhmad. You have been very helpful. 

0 Kudos
Carlitox23
2 1 0 0
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

How can I get the HP tools please?

0 Kudos
tieronetech
Level 3
43 40 0 9
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP does not make the DMI tool that is used to tattoo the board available to the general public. You need to go to a good local technician or an authorized HP shop.

0 Kudos
edbergjun
Level 6
360 336 14 91
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hi all, 

download this pdf file and it will answer everything,

http://rapidshare.com/files/401215959/Tattoo_DMI_Utility_Instructions_v5.pdf.html

say thanks by clicking the star

click accept as solution if my reply solved your problem

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation